Updated 6:21 p.m. Moscow Time
BRUSSELS, September 11 (RIA Novosti) - President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy confirmed Thursday that further EU restrictive measures against Russia will enter into force on September 12.
"At the same time, it is my understanding that the Permanent Representatives Committee (COREPER) before the end of the month will carry out a comprehensive review of the implementation of the peace plan on the basis of an assessment carried out by the European External Action Service (EEAS)," Van Rompuy said in a statement.
"We have always stressed the reversibility and scalability of our restrictive measures. Therefore, in the light of the review and if the situation on the ground so warrants, the Commission and the EEAS are invited to put forward proposals to amend, suspend or repeal the set of sanctions in force, in all or in part," the statement said.
The European Union on Monday officially adopted a new round of sanctions against Russia but delayed their implementation pending the assessment of the ceasefire regime agreed last week by Kiev authorities and independence supporters in eastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
Over the past few months, the United States and the European Union have already introduced several rounds of targeted sanctions against the Russian economy, unjustifiably blaming Moscow for meddling in Ukraine"s internal affairs.
Russia was forced to respond with a ban on certain food imports from the European Union, the United States, Canada, Australia and Norway.
Earlier on Thursday, Kremlin confirmed that Moscow has prepared a package of retaliatory measures to new Western sanctions. The measures will include restrictions on imports of cars and textile products.