MOSCOW, March 25 (RIA Novosti) - Over 22,000 people have signed a petition calling for the secession of Alaska from the United States to seek reunification with Russia.
The petition, available on the White House website, opened on March 21. If the motion attracts 100,000 signatures within a month, the Obama administration is obliged to respond according to its guidelines.
The petition, entitled "Alaska Back to Russia," encourages a vote on secession, citing historic travels of Russian explorers to Alaska, as far back as the crossing of native Siberians across the Bering land bridge over 10 thousand years ago.
The document tracks the settlement of the region by Russians, including Aleuts colonizing the Aleutian Archipelago, and the expedition of famed explorer Mikhail Gvozdez who first sited Alaska in 1732.
Alaska was a Russian colony until 1867 when Russian Emperor Alexander II sold it to the US for $7.2 million -$120 million in today's money after being adjusted for inflation.
In November 2012, a similar petition sought Texas' withdrawal from the US following the state's dissatisfaction with federal economic policy.
Signatories of that petition called for Texas to declare independence in order to maintain a balanced budget and "to protect its citizens' standard of living."
Similar motions were filed by residents of several other American states, including Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama and Georgia.
Yet only Texas garnered enough signatures - over 125,000 - to be reviewed by the Obama administration, which turned the petition down saying that while "no one disputes that our country faces big challenges," Americans needed to work together "to find the best way to move forward."
Despite the value of healthy debate, "we don't let that debate tear us apart," the White House said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PR101LOL:)20:32, 25/03/2014a petition created and signed by "Russian Fundamentalists Sue US, Want Alaska Back", no doubt. I seem to recall a year or so back when some part of Siberia wanted to become part of the US!!
- WestKazakAll for Russia23:45, 25/03/2014Let the good join Russia
- agnesmaria22,000...00:43, 26/03/2014...out of around 750,000 citizens signed. It would take the majority of almost 400,000 minimum for it to be taken seriously.
- PR101It is an electronic05:05, 26/03/2014petition on the White House site. ANYONE can sign it and they don't have to be from US.
- TheRussianYou kidding me?12:47, 27/03/2014The President of the united states of America? Barack Obama? he doesn't take anything seriously unless its a matter of publicity and trying to improve his own poll ratings! They don't listen to the people unless they're tied to Hollywood!
- bielecSomebody is trying to start WW3?00:48, 26/03/2014There may be some energy resources in and around Alaska, but it was sold and bought, and it is now a property of the United States. Those residents who don't like it may emigrate to Chukotka or to Kamchatka. Looking at the US, incereasingly becoming a fascist police state, this may actually be a good idea. Yoou will only have to watch the Siberian tigers and Soros's NGOs :-)
- lochalsh(no title)12:58, 26/03/2014er how is US becoming a fascist police state? your evidence is...?
- sasha74bielec... indeed you are wrong here...13:49, 26/03/2014The US are not becoming a police state... they already ARE a police state... and speaking of NGOs... how long do you people plant to wait before rendering those NSA and CIA fronts extinct in Russia?
- mythoslightThey just have...13:37, 26/03/2014...to take a look at Detroit to see what US is about to become. Ghost towns, poverty and the local crack house. Guns for everybody.
Better to stay safe and prosper with Mother Russia then but without Sarah "i can see Russia across the strait" Palin of course...
- BlizzardKids - get serious and stop to crap15:22, 26/03/2014That notion is every bit stupid and worthless. Let's be serious, Alaska is part of American continent and has been over 100 years US territory. That notion is propaganda attempt to make US looking more vulnerable than they are. It is absolutely meaningless and it has no grounds what so ever. It is Russian greedy zar fault to sell it on the first place. Now sold it is gone for ever. So stop with wet dreams as you look very stupid indeed. I am for the Russia in most of the cases but not in all. Only in these where it is clear that Russia is right as in Crimea. But speaking about Alaska become part of Russia is absurd and outright stupid.
- sasha74yo Blizzard...17:06, 26/03/2014how 'bout this one as a working ideea? Ever thought of the ukrainean propaganda machine starting a jam like this just to fire up even more the hostilities between the US and Russia? As PR101 said, it's an online petition and anyone can sign it... even from Kiev...
- mythoslight"Americans" are not...18:40, 26/03/2014...part of the American continent. Their bloody settler state built upon the bones of 50 million genocided native REAL Americans are a mere 200 years old. Russians where there before them but they didn´t commit genocides, atrocities or occupied other peoples lands, they traded and respected the native Americans.
The different states of "USA" will secede eventually. Some may go back to the natives. You had your time to repair that terrible karma but you choosed to take your killing & occupation spree globally.Time is soon up.
- joemcserious?19:26, 26/03/2014I doubt that the people who started the petition were being serious.They were probably doing it to register a protest with the U.S federal government
- sohelsaheenAlaska is RUSSIAN land for always.13:37, 27/03/2014No king or government had right to sell its territory to another nation for any reason as the land also belongs to the future generation who might not agree of selling their land by the previous govt. So even USA should not buy the other's land . In fact it was a criminal act did by the both Russia-US govt. Now Alaska will come back to Russia. It is NORMAL.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.