Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
KIEV, March 25 (RIA Novosti) – Ukrainian ultranationalist Olexander Muzychko, put on an international wanted list for committing war atrocities in Russia's Chechnya, was gunned down overnight in an operation by Ukrainian special forces, a senior official in the country said Tuesday.
Muzychko, also known as Sashko Bilyi, was located Monday near a cafe in the western Ukrainian city of Rovno in an operation launched by special forces to neutralize a suspected militant group.
Muzychko, an activist in Ukraine’s radical Right Sector party and an active participant in earlier riots (street protests) in Kiev, attempted to escape through a window and opened fire on law enforcement, injuring one of the officers before being killed by return fire, according to First Deputy Interior Minister Vladimir Yevdokimov.
“Muzychko was shot in his leg, but he tried to return fire. Later when he was kicked down to the ground, he kept shooting and was injured. Doctors have confirmed Muzychko’s death,” Yevdokimov said, according to the Ukrainian UNIAN news agency.
Three other suspected gunmen were detained during the operation.
Earlier this month Muzychko accused the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office and police in a YouTube video of a plot to kill him or capture and hand him over to Russian special services.
Muzychko was put on an international wanted list on suspicion of torturing and murdering at least 20 Russian servicemen in Chechnya in the early 2000s. He was arrested in absentia by a court in southern Russia earlier this month.
Ukrainian prosecutors have launched a criminal case against Muzychko who assaulted staff at a state prosecutor's office in Rovno last month. Ukraine’s interior minister Arsen Avakov earlier said Muzychko would be punished according to the law.
Right Sector, along with Muzychko, is a major ally of the neo-Nazi Svoboda party led by Oleh Tyahnybok, a member of the new Ukrainian government and an active promoter of the ideas of Stepan Bandera. Bandera, a Ukrainian who collaborated with Nazi Germany during World War II, was involved in mass atrocities in the wartime ethnic cleansing of Poles, Jews and Russians.
Russia has described last month's uprising in Kiev as an illegitimate fascist coup, which resulted in Moscow taking steps to protect ethnic Russians in Ukraine.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mythoslightNudelman, Kagan & Pyatt....17:15, 25/03/2014...of course ordered this. The right sector helped them install the current Nazi regime but has now become an embarrassment when these western war criminals tries to legitimize their "Ukrainian" bandit putsch junta.
Now we can expect the second face of Nudelman´s coup where these bandits strikes back at the other bandits already in power.
This may also be the perfect window of opportunity for the south and east to secede..
- Mikhail1228Good news!20:04, 25/03/2014What good news to hear that this disgusting slob POS nazi is dead and no longer a threat to decent people.
- agnesmariaGood riddance to bad rubbish21:02, 25/03/2014This is what it looks like for Ukraine to ''crush their own scum''. Take down all the filth.
- bielecCutting through the fog06:23, 26/03/2014Keep in mind that the Right Sector, unlike the Svoboda Party, is opposed to Ukrainia's membership in the EU. Therefore, it is not supported by Nuland and her stooges, and by extension, it is helping Russia keep Ukraine away from NATO.
I would not be surprised, if the American special forces were now cleaning the mess they created in the first place. It sure looks like it. Somebody was paid to do the job, and it was not in rubles.
- sasha74it's what you could call a good start10:23, 26/03/2014My old dad however has a saying... that was the easy part... one down, a whole bunch still to go... nevertheless, a good start... once we see Timoshenko in the same kind of news they will be on a good path...
Image Galleries: Russia in World War I
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The self-defense forces in Donbass likely do not have the capability to win. Kiev will simply outlast the republic’s fighters. Ukraine still has many mobilization resources. The most important thing for self-defense fighters is not to win the war but rather not to lose it.