Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
- Ukrainian Nationalist Wanted for Inciting 'Terrorism' in Russia
- Russia’s Gazprom Warns Ukraine of New Gas War
- Gazprom Mulls Cancelling Ukraine Gas Discount Over Debt
- Ukraine Has $3.3Bln Unpaid Gas Bill – Gazprom
KIEV, March 17 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine’s National Guard and Security Service have stepped up measures to protect natural gas pipelines across the country, the country’s Interior Ministry said Monday.
On Sunday, Ukrainian media reported that the leader of the radical nationalist party Pravy Sektor (Right Sector) along with opposition leader Dmitry Yarosh threatened to sabotage the country’s gas transit system in the event of a potential hot conflict breaking out with Russia.
“The National Guard and Security Service of Ukraine have put in place special protective measures concerning the gas transmission and distribution system of Ukraine,” officials said Monday. “This decision was made to ensure the safety and smooth operation of critical infrastructure in the country.”
About a third of Russian gas exports to Europe transit through Ukraine on their way to heat homes and power industries across the continent.
Officials in Crimea have also expressed worry about the gas transit system, as the peninsula, which voted Sunday to secede from the country, relies on energy and water imports across the narrow isthmus connecting the region to mainland Ukraine.
Helicopter-borne masked men dispatched from Crimea reportedly seized a gas distribution center just outside the region’s boundaries over the weekend. Crimean authorities alleged that Ukrainian forces intended to sabotage the plant to cut off gas supplies to parts of the peninsula.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228Protect against themselves!15:58, 17/03/2014Then Ukraine has to protect the sites from themselves. I watched the Ukrainian neo-nazi Yarosh on TV over the weekend vowing to blow up the pipeline. This is the head of Ukraine's supposed security service.
- Mikhail1228RE: George Galloway16:37, 17/03/2014Watch UK's George Galloway
Image Galleries: Nature Vs Сivilization
Infographics: Racing in Sochi
The British experience can be instructive for Russia. London retains its British Commonwealth if it wants to use this as a foundation for integration in the future. That’s a valuable lesson for Russian experts who are calling for an end to “ineffective” associations like the CIS, the Russian World and others.