Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
- Ukraine's Premier Calls Protests 'Attempt to Seize Power'
- Russia, EU Clash as World Condemns Violence in Ukraine
- Ukrainian President: Opposition Crossed Line With Call to Arms
- White House ‘Appalled’ at Ukraine Violence, Urges Restraint
KIEV, February 19 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine’s main government security agency declared what it called a nationwide anti-terrorism operation on Wednesday.
The announcement came as the authorities continued attempts to dismantle a protest camp in the capital Kiev a day after 25 people died and more than a thousand were injured in violent clashes between riot police and anti-government demonstrators.
Oleskandr Yakymenko, head of the Ukrainian Security Service (known by its Ukrainian acronym SBU) described the violence as “deliberate terrorist acts.”
“Today we are witnessing deliberate and intended violence – arsons, killings, hostage-taking and intimidations – committed with a purpose to achieve unlawful goals,” he said in a statement.
The SBU said that members of extremist groups had seized at least 1,500 firearms and 100,000 cartridges in the ongoing riots. It gave no information about where these weapons came from.
“Radical and extremist groups pose a real threat to millions of Ukrainian citizens. That’s why the SBU and the Anti-terrorism Center have decided to launch an anti-terrorism operation in Ukraine,” Yakymenko said.
The announcement coincided with a seizure of a regional SBU office in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv. A crowd of protesters burst into the practically empty building and smashed cars in a parking lot outside the office, setting fire to one of the vehicles.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228US and EU interference!21:41, 20/02/2014McCain, Nuland and EU ministers stood in Kiev calling for the protestors to fight against Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. We stand behind you they said. The protestors now feel emboldened like former Georgian president Shaakashvili did when he attacked South Ossetia. Nuland was overheard on her cell phone orchestrating who the new leaders of Ukraine should be. Can you imagine how America would have reacted if one of Russian State Duma deputies or Alexei Pushkov, the chairman of the State Duma Committee on Foreign Affairs, visited the US during the Occupy Movement protests a couple of years ago and encouraged the protestors to overthrow the American government. Why is the US and the EU meddling in another nation with a democratically elected government? Why is the US and EU trying to facilitate the overthrow of this government? Place the blame for this violence squarely where it belongs, with the US and the EU!
August 22 marks 110th anniversary of the birth of Deng Xiaoping, the architect of reforms in the People’s Republic of China. His role in shaping the history of modern China is difficult to overstate. His Chinese model is too specific to be copied in other countries, such as Russia.