- The Holocaust is About Today and Tomorrow
- Russia commemorates Holocaust victims
- Russian Christians, Jews urge country to establish Holocaust Memorial Day
- Medvedev says horrors of Holocaust should never be forgotten
MOSCOW, February 8 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian opposition deputy, Ilya Ponomaryov from the A Just Russia party, has proposed establishing a new memorable date, Holocaust Remembrance Day, on January 27.
In line with a relevant bill submitted to the State Duma, the lower house of Russia’s parliament, on Thursday, the date is to be marked in the country from 2014.
January 27 is International Holocaust Remembrance Day for the victims of the Holocaust, which resulted in the killings of 6 million of Jews and millions of others by Nazis.
January 27 is the commemoration day designated by the United Nations General Assembly. On that day in 1945, the Auschwitz death camp was liberated by Soviet troops.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- ChristianWhat about the Original Nationals11:00, 08/02/2013What about the other 50 Million People who died accross Europe and Russia, don't you think you should remember them as well. I mean 50 million people is figure that justifies respect and memorisation as well. What is the idea behind focussing on one minor group and ignoring the original nationals
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.