TBILISI, October 2 (RIA Novosti)
- Georgian Opposition Leads in Early Results
- Georgia Opposition TV Alleges Police Raids On Polling Stations
- Georgia Opposition Coalition Leads Elections – Exit Polls
- Georgia Opposition Coalition Leads Elections - Rustavi 2 and Imedi TV
- Georgia Votes in ‘Historic’ Elections Amid Rising Tensions
Georgia's President Mikheil Saakashvili conceded defeat on Tuesday for his United National Movement (UNM party) in the country's parliamentary elections, adding his party would go into opposition.
"As the leader of the United National Movement, I declare our party will go into opposition," he said in a special address, acknowledging the victory of the opposition Georgian Dream in the October 1 polls.
"For me there were fundamental unacceptable views held by the Georgian Dream coalition," he said. "There are big differences between us. And we consider its views are completely false. But democracy works that way, so the majority of the Georgian people have decided this, and we respect their choice," he added.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.