Topic: Iran's nuclear program
TEHRAN, September 23 (RIA Novosti)
- Iran Navy to Expand Presence to South Pole
- UN Nuclear Watchdog to Hold More Talks with Iran
- Iranian Foundation Ups Bounty on Rushdie to $3.3 Mln
- Iran Admits Military Presence in Syria
- Iran on Verge of Nuclear Weapons – Israeli PM
The U.S. has denied entry visas to Iranian officials, including two ministers, expecting to attend next week’s United Nations General Assembly, the Iranian Fars news agency reported.
The U.S. State Department has refrained from issuing visas for 20 officials of the 160 people for whom the Iranian government had requested entry visas two months ago.
Many Iranian officials are subject to travel bans under sanctions over Iran's controversial nuclear program.
Fars did not name the two ministers who were denied visas to attend the UN General Assembly meeting but said Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would be accompanied by Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi and his chief of staff Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie.
Ahmadinejad is expected to give his final speech at the UN General Assembly meeting on Wednesday. Since he took office, Ahmadinejad has attended all annual UN General Assembly meetings.
Over 150 security officers will guarantee Ahmadinejad's security during his stay in New York.
Tehran is currently under several packages of Western-backed sanctions, including EU-brokered oil embargo that came into effect on July 1.
The United States, Israel and a number of Western European countries suspect Iran of running a nuclear weapons program under the guise of a civil nuclear project. Iran denies this and maintains its nuclear ambitions are purely peaceful.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecReciprocity...16:55, 23/09/2012And, at the same time, the U.S. demands respect for the diplomatic status of their own officials abroad.
Other UN members should respond by denying entry visas for U.S. officials. The list can be generated based on their warmongering, support for terrorists, and role in illegal, aggressive, imperial wars.
It's time for them to be treated the same way they treat others. Beat that supremacy syndrom out of their square heards.
- arsanlupinIran's delegation should be allowed to meet at the UN06:37, 24/09/2012It really doesn't make any difference - the bank accounts of those involved are already frozen, and everyone walks out of the General Assembly when Iran has anything to say, so why not let them speak?
Instead, ban everyone who thinks that warmongering, support for terrorists, and role in illegal, aggressive, imperial wars is a reality and not the Marxist fantasy it really is - there are already too many lunatics in New York City!
- sohelsaheenUSA and the rest of the world13:03, 24/09/2012All the international organizations MUST be withdrawn from USA as it is a TERRIBLE biased country. The UN etc needs to transfer to a NEUTRAL country.
- mishkaI certainly aggree with you.14:01, 24/09/2012For example in Switzerland. It s alleged this organization has been established to keep global piece, security and to boost cooperations between nations. But it seems funny and absurd when it s on the territory of a wild and hungry imperial which threats all the humankind.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.