WASHINGTON, September 18 (RIA Novosti)
During its operations in Russia, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has spent some $2.7 billion on various programs in Russia, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said on Tuesday.
“Over the last 20 years that we've had an AID program in Russia, since the end of the Soviet Union, we've spent about $2.7 billion overall,” Nuland told a press briefing.
The U.S. State Department said earlier on Tuesday that the United States is ending its efforts to promote democracy and civil society in Russia under the auspices of USAID in line with a relevant decision by the Russian government. It said the U.S. received a relevant official notification on September 12.
“The AID budget for fiscal year 2012 is about $50 million, in addition to the civil society programs, we… will look for ways to continue with those members of Russian civil society who want to continue to work with us,” Nuland said.
There has been no official reaction from the Russian authorities yet.
USAID, which operates in more than 100 countries, has been active in Russia over the past two decades. Its array of social programs have targeted issues such as at-risk youth and pressing public health issues like tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.
But the agency has also funded civic organizations that have rankled Russian officials, including the election watchdog Golos, whose monitors have catalogued violations in local and federal elections in recent years.
The United States has repeatedly denied that these programs are aimed at interfering in Russia’s domestic affairs.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecShe can stick it up her @$$01:09, 19/09/2012The U.S. has never had a public, universal health care such as the one in Russia, in Cuba, and in other post-communist countries. This was just a pretext to plant these organizations in Russia.
The real goal was to support dissent and to finance a color revolution which would open Russia to western capital and globalization. "Civil society" is a code term for political interference, unrest, and regime change.
"Those members of Russian civil society who want to continue to work with" the CIA, should spend some patriotic rehabilitation time in labor camps where they would be provided with opportunities to contribute to the society in a positive way.
- sohelsaheenbielec and the US aid12:37, 19/09/2012@Bielec...YOU ARE 1000000000000000% RIGHT.
- lmMr. Putin don't blink for one second they are just waiting.22:55, 19/09/2012You are a billion times over correct, the Russian opposition are a disaster in waiting, just as some middle men in Russian defense industry and ministry who lobby to buy foreign military equipment in the process filling their pockets and banking the cash aboard.
Putin has to seriously break this cancer in the defense ministry just as he did with the NGO’s.
They are also creating and purposely imposing setback in foreign defense contracts to deliver hardware as promise to foreign customers undermining Russia potential as a serious player on the International arms market throwing thousands of Russians out of jobs.
Putin has to check also the oppositions families who work in the protected forces, the so called Liberals families also because they can influence their families views in favor of their views so that in times of conflict which they promise to bring to Putin’s door step they have part of the arm forces with them.
Mr. Putin do not trust the Liberals, opposition, Oligarchs, Chechen so called strong man who seems to have long term ambitions that would lead him into conflict with Moscow and the West for one micro second they are all part of the same dirty egg nest plotting your down fall.
- mishkaOnce more molodez Putin.12:50, 19/09/2012As you remember recently Putin's administration ratified a new law limits the acts foreign Nonprofit civil organizations in Russia. He was right once more. I agree with bielec, civil society is one of the codes zionist order uses in a meaning of to efforts to invate and hold a country. Nuland says they spend billions of dollars in Russia. Yes some of them was this weekend by6 march of millions rally perhaps. On attempts to buy some ,Russian to use them against their own country by creating violances like it happend in Syria recently.
Why do they leave Russia just when it has been prevented some treat capable foreign activities in Russia if USAID is innocent? CAn it be just coincidence? NEVER. NEVER.
- bielecIt's interesting to know that...15:24, 19/09/2012...the term "civil society" was coined and used in many countries by NGOs financed by the Soros and Ford Foundations and by the National Edowment for Democracy.
They do not use the term "democracy" because "civil society" has nothing to do with democracy. It means that the society is infiltrated by Western agencies using some citizens to spread dissent and political unrest.
These agencies are unelected and unaccountable to the society. The process takes place outside of established political structures and its nature is profoundly anti-democratic.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
During Vladimir Putin’s annual Q&A session some members of the Valdai International Discussion Club asked him several questions. How united is the West in its desire to punish Russia? Which EU countries are in favour of isolating Russia? Is this even possible? And what is going on in Ukraine?