MOSCOW, September 7 (RIA Novosti)
- Breivik Sentenced to 21 Years For Norway Terror Attacks
- Norway Police Chief Resigns Over Breivik Attack
- Breivik Says Learned From al-Qaeda
The youth wing of Norway's Labour Party said on Friday that it would spend some $60 million to rebuild summer camps at the Utoeya Island, the scene of last year’s deadly shooting that claimed 69 lives.
The Norwegian edition of The Local newspaper quoted the Workers' Youth League as saying that after the July 22, 2011 tragedy the party’s fund received over $68 million in donations for the purpose.
"We are very grateful for all contributions that provide the opportunity to rebuild Utoeya as a place where young people can still meet for political engagement and discussion," The Local quoted a party statement as saying.
A $60 million plan to rebuild Utoeya was unveiled on Friday.
Workers' Youth League leader Eskil Pedersen admitted that opinions on the island’s future varied and many survivors were against the revival.
"We have attempted to take into account as much as possible, but we think it is better that the island is a place that is taken care of, and where activities are held so the island is not laid to waste," Pedersen said.
The party also plans to set up a memorial to the victims on the southwestern tip of the island. It has also been decided that future summer camps will not be held on or around the day of the tragedy.
Anders Breivik, 33, has confessed to murdering 69 people at a youth summer camp on Utoeya Island and eight others in a bomb attack in Oslo on July 22, 2011, but pleaded innocent to terror charges, saying he was defending Norway from multiculturalism and immigration.
On August 24, 2012, he was found guilty and sentenced to 21 years in prison.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Verkhovna Rada Elections in Ukraine: Darth Vader and Friends
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize