GENEVA, June 30 (RIA Novosti)
- Turkey Deploys Anti-Aircraft Guns On Syrian Border
- Russia Urges Syria, Turkey Against Clashes
- NATO Condemns Syria’s Shoot Down of Turkish Jet
- Turkey Says Syria's Downing of Jet ‘Serious Threat’ to Peace
Russia possesses “objective observation data” concerning the downing of a Turkish jet off the Syrian coast one week ago and is prepared to present it, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said at a press conference in Geneva on Saturday.
“We have our objective observation data and we are prepared to present it,” Lavrov said.
An F-4 fighter jet of the Turkish Air Force was shot down by Syrian air defenses on June 22 and crashed in the Mediterranean Sea. Syrian authorities said the jet had violated its airspace while Turkish officials claimed it was attacked over international waters.
Turkey responded by moving air defense weapons close to the Syrian border.
“The main thing now is not to allow any incident to ignite passions in one or another direction,” Lavrov said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmOpps Turkey sorry Russia has the data cry no more to NATO.00:20, 01/07/2012Opps Turkey
- jg(no title)01:03, 02/07/2012Turkey aren't crying to NATO but they have changed their rules of engagement: The Turks now assume that any Syrian aircraft approaching the Turkish border is a threat. Turkey has moved additional air defence assets to their border with Syria. When Syrian helicopters approached the Turkish border in two separate occasions today, Turkey scrambled a number of F16s. If Syria and Turkey do go to war, Syria will lose - which is probably not in Russia's interests. So I guess Lavrov will continue to encourage both sides to calm down.
- ruypenalvaAre Russia space forces...04:35, 01/07/2012Are Russia space forces monitoring that area permanently or the Syrian radar are managed by Russian technician? In any case I'm happy.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
During Vladimir Putin’s annual Q&A session some members of the Valdai International Discussion Club asked him several questions. How united is the West in its desire to punish Russia? Which EU countries are in favour of isolating Russia? Is this even possible? And what is going on in Ukraine?