Topic: Powerful Earthquake in Japan
MOSCOW, June 16 (RIA Novosti)
- Japanese Boost Nuclear Submarine Reactor Disposal
- Japan Starts Work to Shut Down Last Reactor
- Japan May Go Without Nuclear Power – Minister
- Japan nuclear power plants to close
- Quake rocks Japan, no danger to nuclear facilities
- The Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Fukushima eight months after the disaster through the eyes of journalists
- Damage levels at the Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- New video footage showing the scale of destruction inside The Fukushima Dai-ichi complex
- Footage released of inside Fukushima’s crippled nuclear power plant
Japan announced on Saturday it will resume operations at two nuclear reactors, the first to come back online since all the country's plants were shut down following the Fukushima crisis last year, the Kyodo news agency reported.
Prime Minister Yoshiko Noda said the restarts at the Oi nuclear power plant, in central Fukui prefecture, were necessary to avert power shortages.
It will take up to six weeks to get the reactors fully operational, the plant's operators said.
Noda made the announcement at a cabinet meeting following the approval of Fukui Governor Issei Nishikawa.
Japanese authorities ordered the closure of all of the country's 50 reactors for maintenance or safety checks after a powerful earthquake and tsunami triggered a meltdown at the Fukushima power plant in March 2011.
Japan relied on nuclear power for about 30 percent of its energy needs before the shutdowns.
The decision to restart the Oi reactors comes amid widepread public concern about nuclear safety.
Hundreds demonstrators gathered outside Noda's office on Friday to protest the move.
According to a poll by Mainichi Daily News newspaper, more than 70 percent of the public opposes restarting the reactors.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.