Topic: Protests in Syria
TEL-AVIV, June 11 (RIA Novosti)
- UN Observers Concede Presence of Terrorist Groups in Syria
- Syrian Terrorist Attacks Aimed to Foil Annan’s Plan – Russian Foreign Ministry
- Syria on Brink of Civil Conflict - Russian Foreign Minister
- Syria Peace Plan ‘Not Being Implemented’ – Annan
The Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons may end up in the hands of terrorists as the ruling regime and anti-government forces continue fierce fighting, an Israeli senior military commander said on Monday.
“Syria’s chemical arsenal is the world’s largest. It has missiles that are capable of destroying targets on the entire territory of Israel,” Kol Israel radio station quoted Israeli General Staff Deputy Chief, Major General Yair Naveh as saying.
The Israeli army should keep its vigilance to prevent Syrian chemical weapons ending up in the hands of radical militant groups like Al Qaeda or the Lebanon-based Hezbollah, the general said.
At least 9,000 people have been killed in clashes between the government and opposition forces in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad last year, according to UN estimates.
UN special envoy Kofi Annan said on Thursday his six-point peace plan aimed at stopping the violence in Syria is "not being implemented." The presence of a group of UN observers also had little impact on the situation. Annan warned of an escalating crisis and laid responsibility for the atrocities on al-Assad’s regime.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecYeah, yeah...14:43, 11/06/2012... just like Saddam Hussain's Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), that were never found because they did not exist. Here we go, again...
These people, who push for war, should be sent to Nuremberg II trial as enemies of humanity. The sooner, the better.
- moist[b]LIBYAN stockpile of chemical weapon[/b]17:32, 11/06/2012As it ended up, part of the LIBYAN stockpile of chemical weapons turned up in the hands of NATO mercenaries in Turkey & Syria, which in turn undoubtedly will be used against civilians to blame the Syrian government as a pretext to invade.
But i think they have underestimated the devastating impact of the Russian weaponry Syria possess, most notably Sunburn missiles and S-300, not to mention Russia itself
- jg(no title)00:31, 12/06/2012"...they have underestimated the devastating impact of the Russian weaponry Syria possess, most notably Sunburn missiles and S-300, not to mention Russia itself"
They were of no use against the Israeli air force when they destroyed that North Korean nuclear reactor in the Syrian desert.
The solution to the Ukrainian problem will directly depend on how the military operations unfold in Donbass. If the militia fighters take over the strategic initiative, win back Donbass and extend the war to the Zaporozhye and the Kharkov regions, then Kiev will be more amenable to a compromise