MEXICO CITY, April 22 (RIA Novosti)
- Pussy Riot to Remain Behind Bars
- Protesters Detained Ahead of Pussy Riot Court Appearance
- Russia’s Pop Queen Wants Freedom for Pussy Riot
- Russia's Rights Ombudsman Calls for Pussy Riot Release
- Amnesty Calls on Russia to Free Pussy Riot Suspects
Several dozen activists gathered late on Saturday near the Russian embassy in Mexico in support of the female Pussy Riot punk group members held in detention in Moscow.
Some 70 people, mostly activists of informal youth groups, took part in the action, urging the Russian authorities to recognize the freedom of speech and thought and the freedom of self-expression.
The demonstrators occupied a part of the street adjacent to the Russian embassy where traffic was partially limited. The action had been authorized by the local authorities and ended peacefully, without any detentions, the local police said.
Five masked members of Pussy Riot performed a protest song entitled “Holy Sh*t” at the altar of the Christ the Savior Cathedral in downtown Moscow on February 21. The lyrics included lines such as “Holy Mother, Blessed Virgin, chase Putin out!”
Pussy Riot said the performance was a response to Orthodox Church head Patriarch Kirill’s backing of President-elect Vladimir Putin in the run-up to his landslide March 4 election victory. The patriarch called the 12 years of Putin's rule a "miracle of God" in a televised meeting.
Putin’s press secretary said the president-elect reacted “negatively” when told of Pussy Riot’s protest.
An opinion poll released on Monday by the VTsIOM state pollster indicated that a mere 10 percent of Russians want to see the suspects remain behind bars. Just over half of the respondents favored community work or a fine.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistSoros storm troopers11:06, 22/04/2012First and foremost, a psychic test due to the brain damage their western pay-masters caused them. And two, community service to the church which they desecrated and an sincere apology from all of them to Russian orthodox believers.
- pushkinlovIrrelevant11:36, 22/04/2012There is no relevance whatsoever that a small gathering of a group euphemistically named "activists" engaged in supporting the snobbish group who is enjoying their 15 minutes of fame. . Who are these "activists" in Mexico City? Such an euphemistic name reminds me of the Arab Spring movement. "Activists?" The presumed gathering in support of the Russian punks is totally irrelevant. In Mexico City, which includes a metropolitan area where over 20 million people live and where people from all over the country come to expose their demands to the central authorities producing dozens of public demonstration and marches on a weekly basis to address issues ranging from water scarcity, land distribution, war protests, etc. etc. I guess the idea of this note was to send a message that even in distant places the "anti-Putin" movement is alive. Well, that is an absolute fallacy. Keep dreaming.
- PETEPETEPETEIdiots...14:54, 22/04/2012What this idiots should be doing is organizing some kind of action to protest the Western cultural, economic and military assault on Mankind. What this idiots should be doing is to think about why "Pussy Riot" (they should name themselves "Queens of Cliché") doesn't protest the Western assault on Mankind and instead protest against a government that opposes that Western assault.
- SirkoSimple Solution20:43, 22/04/2012Hang the ugly sacrilegious hags...
Further, who the in their right mind pays attention to Mexicans a failed state in turmoil and racked by drugs paid for by the putrification of the U.S.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.