Topic: Yulia Tymoshenko case
KIEV, November 11 (RIA Novosti)
- Police pile up charges against Tymoshenko
- Tymoshenko thinks EU resolution on Ukraine very tough
- Tymoshenko to be probed for possible link to 1996 lawmaker killing
- Tymoshenko supporters blast prosecutors for reopening old case
- Tymoshenko appeals guilty verdict
Ukraine’s jailed ex-prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko faces new embezzlement and fraud charges, the State Tax Service said on Friday.
Tymoshenko, 50, is already serving a seven-year term for abuse of power for concluding gas deals with Russia in 2009, a verdict internationally condemned as politically motivated.
The new charges include the concealment of $165 million in corporate revenue, the theft of public funds and tax evasion ($5.8 million) and relate to the late 1990s when Tymoshenko was head of the United Energy Systems of Ukraine (UESU), then the main importer of the Russian natural gas.
The charges were earlier dropped under the statute of limitations in the 2000s.
Other charges Tymoshenko faces include the misuse of funds received from the sale of greenhouse gas discharge quotas under the Kyoto Protocol, the misappropriation of funds to purchase ambulances, and the UESU’s illegal operations.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.