Topic: Yulia Tymoshenko case
KIEV, November 7 (RIA Novosti)
- Tymoshenko thinks EU resolution on Ukraine very tough
- Tymoshenko to be probed for possible link to 1996 lawmaker killing
- Tymoshenko’s colleague says case against her father-in-law could be reopened
- Tymoshenko supporters blast prosecutors for reopening old case
Charges are snowballing against Ukraine’s jailed ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko as the tax police reopened four cases against the president’s long-time rival on Friday, her lawyer said on Monday.
Tymoshenko, 50, is already serving a seven-year term for abuse of power for concluding gas deals with Russia in 2009, a verdict condemned by the European Union and Russia as politically motivated.
“On Friday, tax police officers notified Yulia Tymoshenko that an investigation into four criminal cases against her has resumed,” her lawyer Serhiy Vlasenko said, adding that Tymoshenko had received the documents.
The probe concerns alleged tax evasion in the late 1990s when Tymoshenko was head of the United Energy Systems of Ukraine, then the main importer of the Russian natural gas. The charges were dropped under the statute of limitations in the 2000s.
Prosecutors earlier launched an investigation into the company’s alleged $405-million debt to the Russian Defense Ministry.
Tymoshenko, an arch rival of President Viktor Yanukovych, has been heavily prosecuted since Yanukovych took office in 2010.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecThis is not smart16:54, 07/11/2011Even if half of the charges are true, it's still clear that they are politically motivated. They are also dangerous, because they establish a precedent. From now on, no politician in Ukraine will be safe. Every one of them can now be retroactively charged as part of the political struggle between the opposing parties and factions.