TOKYO, July 9 (RIA Novosti)
- Radioactive strontium detected on seabed near Fukushima
- Some 28,000 Japanese from Fukushima disaster zone to begin health checks
- Japan's TEPCO restores cooling system at Fukushima's No. 5 reactor
- Fukushima brings together Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing
- Japan sets up panel to probe Fukushima crisis
- TEPCO confirms fuel meltdown in three Fukushima reactors
- Damage levels at the Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Radiation checks in Fukushima
- Situation near the troubled Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Protective “cap” over Fukushima
- Water decontamination at Fukushima nuclear power plant
- New video footage showing the scale of destruction inside The Fukushima Dai-ichi complex
- Footage released of inside Fukushima’s crippled nuclear power plant
Decommissioning of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, crippled in the March 2011 quake and tsunami, will take decades, Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan said on Saturday in the first government announcement of a long-term timeframe for the cleanup.
A 9.0-magnitude quake struck off Japan's northeast coast on March 11, triggering a tsunami and explosions at the Fukushima, which caused the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl in 1986.
The Japan Atomic Energy Commission and Fukushima plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) have set a goal of starting the removal of melted nuclear fuel at about 2021, public broadcaster NHK said.
The TV channel reported that the authorities, the operator and equipment manufacturers also expect "several decades" to pass before the reactors are ready to be dismantled, citing a long-term roadmap for bringing the plant under control.
In late June the Japanese government announced that the double natural disaster could cost the country up to 16.9 trillion yen (about $210 bln). The estimates do not include the damages from a nuclear crisis at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, the government said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.