Topic: Iran's nuclear program
- Russia's ban on arms sales to Iran 'illogical'
- Iranian nuclear power plant project unaffected by weapon ban - Kremlin
- Excessive sanctions will not solve the Iranian nuclear problem
- Russia vows not to freeze military cooperation with Iran
- Medvedev bans sale of S-300 missiles, other weapons to Iran (Update 1)
There is no proof that Iran is working toward the creation of nuclear weapons, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday.
However in order for UN sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic to be lifted, Iran must prove its nuclear program has a 100% peaceful character, Lavrov told the U.S. PBS TV channel.
Any attack on Iran would have “negative” consequences for the region, he warned.
Russia had voted in favor of the UN sanctions against Iran in order to demonstrate that it would not stand for any violation of the nonproliferation regime, he went on.
Lavrov also urged Iran to comply fully with the demands of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
International pressure on Iran increased in early February when Tehran announced it had begun enriching uranium to 20 percent in lieu of an agreement on an exchange that would provide it with fuel for a research reactor.
In June, the UN Security Council passed a resolution imposing a fourth set of sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program.
MOSCOW, September 23 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pcfNo proof13:53, 26/09/2010Of course there is no proof of Iran building nuclear weapons, this is a lie invented by the USA to aggress Iran.
Why has Russia canceled delivery of the S-300 missiles?
Is Russia siding with its own enemies now?
Image Galleries: Christophe de Margerie: 40 Years With French Oil and Gas Giant
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize