Topic: Polish Air Crash Drama
Kaczynski tragedy brings Russia, Poland closer© Сollage by RIA Novosti
Kaczynski tragedy brings Russia, Poland closer© RIA Novosti. Ilya Pitalev
- URGENT: Volcanic eruption in Iceland might delay Kaczynski's funeral
- Kaczynski's plane hit trees far from runway - IAC
- Russian President Medvedev to attend Kaczynski's funeral on Sunday
- Body of late Maria Kaczynski to be delivered to Poland on Tues.
- Search for body parts continues at Kaczynski's plane crash site
- Lech Kaczynski's body brought to presidential palace as Poles line Warsaw streets (WRAPUP 1)
A plane crash in west Russia that killed Polish President Lech Kaczynski and 96 other people has brought Moscow and Warsaw closer, the head of Poland's senate said.
The plane was taking a high-level delegation to Katyn to pay tribute to some 20,000 Polish officers killed by Soviet secret police during World War Two.
"Though it [the plane crash] was initially called a second Katyn, it is quite another matter. The communist state killed our officers and drove a wedge between us which we are still struggling to overcome. The recent tragedy, on the contrary, brought our states and peoples together," Marshal of the Senate Bogdan Borusewicz told the TVN24 channel.
Borusewicz said that those who think that relations between the two states will worsen are in a minority.
"Russians have changed a great deal," he said, praising the Russian reaction to the disaster and in particular statements by President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
MOSCOW, April 16 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Russia Celebrates Navy Day
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The Brest-Litovsk peace treaty that ended Russia’s part in the war has been the subject of heated debate from the moment it was signed in March 1918. To this day, scholars offer differing interpretations of the circumstances that led to the treaty and its domestic and foreign policy importance.