The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is sending dozens of its personnel to Russia© flickr.com/ popculturegeek.com
- Sochi Drafts In Cossacks for Olympic Security
- Deaths, Blast in Russia's South Trigger Terrorism Sweep
- Russian Airports Ban Liquids in Carry-On Bags Ahead of Olympics
- Sochi Olympic Security Measures: No Strange Cars
- More Than 60 People Remain in Hospital after Russia Terror Attacks
MOSCOW, January 10 (RIA Novosti) – The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is sending dozens of its personnel to Russia to help secure the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi from possible terror attacks, its director told reporters.
FBI director James Comey said about two dozen agents and other personnel will be sent to Moscow and more than a dozen others will be based in the Black Sea resort that is hosting the Winter Olympics from February 7 to 23. Some of them are already there, he told the Wall Street Journal.
“Securing any Olympics is an enormous task,” the Washington Post quoted Comey as saying. “I think it’s particularly challenging in Sochi because of its proximity to areas of unrest and sources of a terrorist threat.”
Comey said although his agency is willing to help Russia, security at the Games is ultimately Moscow’s responsibility. He also expressed confidence that Russia will keep the Games safe.
“I think the Russian government understands the threat and is devoting the resources to address it,” Comey told Reuters.
Russia launched the largest security operation in Olympic history this week in a bid to prevent terrorism, particularly from the neighboring North Caucasus, a region plagued by an Islamist insurgency.
Security was tightened for Sochi after two suicide bombers killed 34 people and injured more than 100 late last month in attacks on Volgograd's main train station and on a trolleybus. The city is 630 kilometers (400 miles) from Sochi.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Volgograd, but the Russian security services believe they were the work of Islamic militants from the North Caucasus region.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mythoslight“I think the Russian government understands the threat"12:47, 10/01/2014...Oh yes they do and they perfectly well understand US/Saudi support of these terrorists as they have been supporting, arming, training and harbouring them since the 80´s.
So sending FBI agents in one direction and CIA agents in the other, at the same time Washington hysterically are trying to score propaganda points by boycotting, keeping western regime officials at home, elevating "gay-rights" and whatnot, instead of a united front right there in Sochi, against terrorism, is breathtaking hypocrisy.
- LocoIvanLOL, admit it!03:28, 11/01/2014Mikhas-moistmythosd*uche just can’t accept the REALITY that the American G-men, as well as others, are there to help contribute to EVERYONES safety at PUTIN’S INVITATION. Then again, the concept of reality in your amoral dominion is as scarce as common sense, you insufferable parroting conspiracist mountebank.
- Mikhail1228Kuban Cossacks19:54, 10/01/2014I would feel safer with the 400 Kuban Cossacks entrusted to watch over the city than I would with the FBI.
- LocoIvanYAWN! You have got to try harder than that…18:45, 11/01/2014‘i'm a yank and have to inform you that your comment appears remarkably naive.’
Good for you! Now revisit your reading/comprehension/grammar classes in primary school.
‘some people in agencies in all large countries get paid well to cause problems for other countries. there is no rhyme or reason. it is a funding issue. if they don't do it they don't get paid.’
Well done on your commentary. It clearly displays how much of an idiot, eerr ‘naïve/ignorant’ YOU are.
Why would the Russian paranoid in chief Putin, for example, INVITE the FBI ‘agency’ contingent into his country/capital to foment ‘problems’, as you state with no proof, during his premier sporting event?
It is widely known that the Russians will be ‘working’ with many countries, at various levels, in regards to help secure Sochi.
The British PM Cameron, back in May 2013, pledged cooperation on Sochi security:
‘Cameron said at a conference after talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin the UK will be providing “limited” support to ensure security at the Olympic Games in the Russian Black Sea resort.’
Futhermore, here is a quote from a RIANovosti article dated 08Nov13 that illustrates the FSB’s interaction with numerous security agencies leading up to Sochi:
‘Russia will today conduct the fourth in a series of meetings with spy agencies from 30 different nations dedicated to security during the Winter Games, a Federal Security Service (FSB) spokesman said.’
Where is your respectable referenced proof that this specific American law enforcement agency, or any other Western security consultant/participant, is in Russia to SABOTAGE the Worldwide Olympiad?
‘it's sometimes better to be a mountebank than to be stoneground ignorant.’
Ohh yeah, that makes a tremendous amount of sense and makes you BOTH.
Therefore, in your personified case, I presume, it’s better to have your ‘head up your a*s all of the time, rather than not’.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.