MOSCOW, October 14 (RIA Novosti)
- LHC Researchers Test Proton-Lead Ion Collisions
- Fuel Pipe to Blame for Proton Launch Failure - Source
- Space Agency Chief Denies Staff Changes after Proton Failure
- Russia to Suspend Proton Rocket Launches – Space Source
Russia’s Proton-M carrier rocket with a U.S. telecoms satellite, Intelsat-23, will be launched on Sunday from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, a spokesman for the Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said.
“The launch of Proton-M with Intelsat-23 satellite has been scheduled for October 14 at 12:37 p.m. Moscow time [8:27 GMT],” the spokesman said.
The launch was initially scheduled for August 23, but was postponed because of a failed satellite launch earlier that month, when two telecommunications satellites were lost due to a failure in the Russian Proton-M rocket's upper stage.
Intelsat-23 has been built by Orbital Sciences Corporation for Intelsat Ltd., which operates the world's most extensive satellite network, comprising over 50 satellites.
The satellite is equipped with 24 C-band and 15 Ku-band transponders and will provide telecommunications services to customers in North and Latin America, Western Europe, Africa and some islands in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
The launch of the Proton-M is conducted under a contract concluded by International Launch Services Inc. (ILS), which is owned by the Khrunichev Center, RSC Energia and U.S. firm Space Transport Inc.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
If attempts to drag Russia into a direct military conflict in Ukraine are successful, it would be a catastrophe for Russia comparable to the 1979-1989 Afghan war. There is no direct evidence that the US is trying to bring about a second Afghan war, but indirect evidence abounds.