Topic: Phobos-Grunt spacecraft
The recent crash of Russia’s Mars probe was caused by a glitch in the onboard computer system under the impact of space radiation, Federal Space Agency head Vladimir Popovkin said on Tuesday.© RIA Novosti.
VORONEZH, January 31 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to Test if U.S. Radar Downed Phobos Probe
- Russian Deputy PM Rogozin to oversee investigation of Phobos-Grunt failure
- Russian Phobos-Grunt Mars probe falls in Pacific Ocean
- Phobos-Grunt to crash into Pacific Ocean Jan. 15 - Roscosmos
- NASA Says No to Probe Crash Theory Test - Roscosmos
- Russian Scientists Mock U.S. Radar Theory on Mars Probe
Space radiation triggered a glitch in the on-board computer system causing the recent crash of Russia’s Mars probe, Federal Space Agency head Vladimir Popovkin said on Tuesday.
“Two components of the onboard computer system were spontaneously rebooted and it switched into a standby mode,” he said.
“The most likely reason [for the glitch] is the impact of heavy charged space particles,” he said.
Another possible cause could have been defective microchips imported from abroad, he said.
“The use of imported microchips is not only our problem,” he said, adding that NASA and the U.S. Defense Department were also concerned by illegal imports of those products.
A government commission has ruled out any “external or foreign influence” on the spacecraft, including alleged electromagnetic emission from a U.S. radar in the Pacific Ocean.
Phobos-Grunt, Russia's most ambitious planetary mission in decades, was launched on November 9 but it was lost due to a propulsion failure and fell back to Earth on January 15.
Popovkin previously suggested that certain forces in the Western Hemisphere, which is a shadow zone for Russia, might be shooting down Russian spacecraft.
According to NASA, Russia has failed in all 17 of its attempts to study the Red Planet close-up since 1960. The most recent failure before November 2011 occurred in 1996, when Russia lost its Mars-96 orbiter during launch.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- ruypenalvaNot a software error16:54, 31/01/2012In a previous comment I said I disbelieved in software fault as a cause of the failure as we can test and retest sofware on the ground prior launch. Either insufficient magnetic shield of computers or foreign microchip malfunction the problem is on the hardware side.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.