Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
- Russia Ready to Hire Ukrainian Police
- Ukraine Urges Putin to Abandon Military Intervention Plans
- Russia Hosts Rallies in Support of Compatriots in Ukraine
- Ukrainian Troops in Crimea Side with Pro-Russia Forces
- Some 675,000 Ukrainians Fled to Russia Amid Crisis – Report
GENEVA, March 3 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s foreign minister said Monday that the decision to dispatch troops to Ukraine is not an act of aggression, but a measure aimed at protecting human rights and Russian citizens.
Sergei Lavrov said in a speech to the UN Council on Human Rights in Geneva that military intervention would normalize the political situation in Ukraine and curb what he described as the radicals that have taken power.
“I reiterate, we are talking about protecting our citizens and compatriots, about protecting the most fundamental human right – the right to live and nothing more,” he said.
Lavrov’s support for direct military engagement in Ukraine appears to be at odds with previous insistence that the international community refrain from interference in the former Soviet nation’s affairs.
Russia’s parliament over the weekend gave its assent to a request from President Vladimir Putin to allow the deployment of a military force in Ukraine in response to recent developments.
While Putin has not formally ordered any deployments, there is mounting evidence that Russian troops have fanned out across Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula, which is heavily populated by ethnic Russians opposed to the interim government.
Lavrov said there have been reports of plans for new provocations against the Russian Black Sea Fleet based in Crimea.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry has earlier said that unknown assailants attempted to storm an Interior Ministry building in Crimea on Friday night, although local officials have denied the attack took place.
Lavrov said that the West to put aside geopolitical calculations and take into account the interests of the Ukrainian people.
“Those who try to interpret the situation as an act of aggression, threaten us with sanctions and boycotts, are the same partners who have been consistently and vigorously encouraging the political powers close to them to declare ultimatum and reject dialogue, and ignore the concerns in southern and eastern Ukraine, and eventually to the polarization of the Ukrainian society,” he said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail12285 billion down the toilet18:43, 03/03/2014The US is upset because they spent 5 billion dollars meddling and fomenting a coup in Kiev and now they will not get all the bang for the buck they thought they would get!!
- bielec(no title)18:49, 03/03/2014Quote: - "Lavrov’s support for direct military engagement in Ukraine appears to be at odds with previous insistence that the international community refrain from interference in the former Soviet nation’s affairs."
This is a statement that lacks logic. If the "international community" refrained from interference (read: agitating and igniting the conflict with the view of a regime change), then the situation in Ukraine would not have detariorated to the point where direct military engagement was the only way to stabilize the country and protect its people.
- james_ukDon't kill..18:50, 03/03/2014Don't kill Ukrainians that want freedom.
“As experience shows, military interventions on the pretext of civilian protection produce the opposite effect.” Sergei Lavrov
- Mikhail1228Right Sector Nazi's01:30, 04/03/2014Why is there deafening silence in the US media about the neo-Nazi "Right Sector"? In Kiev these thugs have spray painted Nazi wolfangel symbols and swastikas everywhere and salute each other as Nazi's. Why the silence? I guess the US spent $5 billion on fomenting regime change only to get a bunch of neo-nazi thugs in power!
Military exercises are held in order to prevent a war rather than prepare for one. If a potential enemy knows and sees that the Russian Army is constantly improving its skills and adopting state-of-the-art combat equipment and combat support systems he will hardly risk aggression against these Armed Forces and the country they defend.