- EU Mulls Sanctions, Arms Embargo on Ukraine – Agency
- Ukrainian Police Authorized to Use Live Ammo as Battle Rages
- Kiev Mayor Quits Ruling Party Amid Deadly Clashes
- New Unrest Rocks Ukraine Capital, Deaths Reported
- EU Envoys Meet Ukrainian President as Violence Rocks Capital
MOSCOW, February 20 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin is sending an envoy to Ukraine to try to mediate talks between the government and the opposition, the Kremlin said Thursday.
Russia’s outgoing ombudsman Vladimir Lukin will travel to Kiev after Putin suggested the initiative in a telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. Lukin’s second and final term as presidential ombudsman expired Tuesday.
“Vladimir Petrovich [Lukin] is known for his diplomatic savvy and enjoys recognition with human rights activists. He also used to head a major opposition party,” Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
The violence in Ukraine, in which at least 64 people have been killed according to the health ministry, is the worst the nation has seen since it gained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. Opposition says the real death toll is much higher.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228Place the blame on the US and EU!21:34, 20/02/2014McCain, Nuland and EU ministers stood in Kiev calling for the protestors to fight against Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. We stand behind you they said. The protestors now feel emboldened like former Georgian president Shaakashvili did when he attacked South Ossetia. Nuland was overheard on her cell phone orchestrating who the new leaders of Ukraine should be. Can you imagine how America would have reacted if one of Russian State Duma deputies or Alexei Pushkov, the chairman of the State Duma Committee on Foreign Affairs, visited the US during the Occupy Movement protests a couple of years ago and encouraged the protestors to overthrow the American government. Why is the US and the EU meddling in another nation with a democratically elected government? Why is the US and EU trying to facilitate the overthrow of this government? Place the blame for this violence squarely where it belongs, with the US and the EU!
Image Galleries: Russia Celebrates Navy Day
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The Brest-Litovsk peace treaty that ended Russia’s part in the war has been the subject of heated debate from the moment it was signed in March 1918. To this day, scholars offer differing interpretations of the circumstances that led to the treaty and its domestic and foreign policy importance.