Topic: Protests in Syria
- Syrian Opposition Claims 'Poisonous Gas' Attack
- US ‘Deeply Concerned’ About Syria Chemical Weapons Claims
- UK to Raise Syria Chemical Weapons Claim at UN
MOSCOW, August 21 (RIA Novosti) – Moscow does not rule out that reports alleging the use of chemical weapons in Syria, claims released as a UN investigative team began working in the country, are a “planned provocation” by media outlets to sway public opinion against the ruling regime, a Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman said Wednesday.
“Moscow considers it important to conduct an objective and professional investigation,” ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said. He said later in the day that a homemade rocket “with an unidentified chemical agent” was launched Wednesday in a Damascus suburb from the Syrian rebels’ positions, similar to the one launched Monday in Khan al-Assal.
A UN team of chemical weapons investigators, headed by Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, started working in Damascus on Monday. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon confirmed that the team would investigate a reported March 19 chemical attack in Khan al-Assal as well as alleged attacks in two other locations being kept secret for security reasons.
The Syrian opposition has accused the government of killing scores of people in a massive nerve gas attack in Damascus, with death toll estimates varying from a hundred to more than a thousand people.
Russia’s UN mission said Wednesday that the UN Security Council would hold an emergency meeting over the reported use of chemical weapons in Syria.
Both sides in the ongoing Syrian civil war have traded allegations of chemical weapons use. The UN investigative team had been unable to travel to Syria because of diplomatic wrangling over the scope of the access they would have.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- M1chael1This is a war provocation in order to smash Syria03:00, 22/08/2013The Free Syrian Army are allied with al-Qaeda, the terrorists who attacked the US on 9/11 (in reality, it was a coup by Wall Street and it's cronies in the military industrial complex) that may have used these chemical weapons on the Syrian army and civilians. Isn't it convenient that this attack occurs right when the UN team are set to enter Syria? This smells like geopolitics for sure. I await further reports from the world media on this and do not impose a no-fly zone over Syria because S-300's are waiting PLUS the world might see the Russian Air Force in action as well. Regards, Michael Benson
- Mikhail1228I concur with Michael17:47, 22/08/2013The Al Nusra front and the free Syrian Army whom are neither Syrian or rebels but paid mercenaries are manufacturing chemical weapons in the suburbs of Damascus and targeting civilians so the western media will blame Assad. Assad must go as the war mongerers drool over war against Iran. The war against Iran cannot happen unless regime change takes place in Syria. Haliburton, Raytheon and others cannot make hundreds of billions unless there is suffering, death, pain, anquish and never ending war!!
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Some people are trying to make the reality in Russia at least a bit more humane. The amnesty should apply not only to persons involved in high-profile cases, but also to individuals who are not as well-known. It is better to set free at least some of the individuals who deserve to be released than no one at all.