MOSCOW, August 17 (RIA Novosti) – A “pasta procession” by the Russian followers of the not-so-serious Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was dispersed in Moscow on Saturday by riot police and Orthodox activists, the prankster movement said.
The Moscow police press service told RIA Novosti that eight “Pastafarians” were detained for "attempting to hold an unsanctioned rally."
The Church, that also calls its flock Pastafarian, was created in 2005 by Bobby Henderson, a self-described "hobo" from Oregon, according to the movement’s website.
Pastafarians wear sieves on their heads, worship The Flying Spaghetti Monster and believe that their religion was founded by pirates, their website says. They consider every Friday a religious holiday and do not take themselves seriously, it says.
Russian Pastafarians announced a “pasta procession” in Moscow and St. Petersburg to celebrate the birthday of US actor Robert De Niro who played a character nicknamed “Noodles” in Sergio Leone’s 1984 mafia drama Once Upon A Time In America, according to their web-posted statement.
However, Moscow authorities did not sanction the procession which was disrupted by riot police and activists with the God’s Will Orthodox group headed by Dmitri Enteo, according to a message by Russian Pastafarians on a social networking website.
God’s Will has held numerous rallies against Russian gays and the Pussy Riot punk rock band whose two members were sentenced to two years in jail for hooliganism last August.
“Guys, because of the dispersion by riot police and provocations by Enteo and Co the Ramen [noodles] eating arrangement is canceled,” the message said.
“We were detained for simply walking,” a message posted by another Pastafarian said. “In particular, I was taken in for a sieve on my head.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistGet a life..11:03, 18/08/2013..especially a Russian life, copycat brats.
- wellactuallySad example of religious intolerance14:30, 18/08/2013It's very sad that the Russian autorities engaging in such platent and overt religious discrimination. Sending riot police after a group of people drssed as pirates and wearing sieves is ridiculous overkill - I wonder whether there's someone in the Moscow authorities who is out to make the Russian Government look stupid.
If the God’s Will Orthodox group don't like Pastafarian teachings, they should think about following Christ's example and "turn the other cheek"
- Mikhail1228US born Cults17:45, 20/08/2013Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 Russia has been a magnet for cults from the west. Scientologists, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, US Tele-Heretics and every type of US born evangelical cult and bible toting whacko. This does not include non Christian cults which also look at Russia as a breeding ground for their beliefs. David Duke tried to setup there in the 1990's. The laws must be firm against all these Western born and nourished cults.
- arsanlupinGood Lord – can no one understand the joke???06:00, 21/08/2013@ wellactually: while I agree with the general theme of your post, I think perhaps you missed a more subtle part of the article – that the entire “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” is one immense joke. It’s all a deliberate farce; I believe to poke a little fun at the Oh – So – Serious people around them and to have a little fun. The “not-so-serious” prefix to the initial mentioning of the group name was a huge understatement, meant I think to join in the fun of the silliness. In other words, just good clean fun, never meant to offend anyone. Obviously, many Russians are far too emotionally repressed to appreciate the joke, and so invent a reason to take offense, and then use it to send in riot police. Pitiful, but then I know much about life as it really is in the former Soviet Union, and all of them are truly to be pitied in one form or another.
@ mikhail1228: in addition to all of your other mental and emotional defects, you are apparently incapable of detecting the difference between a religion, a cult, and a casual social gathering to enjoy a joke. Typical hate-mongering mouth-breather with a room-temperature IQ (in Celsius of course.) You must truly have an appallingly pitiful life, to be so reduced to such mindless hatred and vitriol of everyone who isn’t exactly like you (meaning the entire rest of the human race). I hope you are soon put out of your misery – not only for your own sake, but for the sake of everyone subjected to the disgusting manure you spew from your rotting brain.
@moist: a “life” – as in “get a life” – and a tall glass of water would kill you. Please get both as soon as possible - preferably standing at the edge of a hole in the ground 2 meters long, one meter wide, and 2 meters deep.
- LocoIvanWell stated!18:18, 21/08/2013I wish I could be so eloquent and articulate in my responses to some of these meatheads, then the pre-moderation censors here would not block my posts as much, LOL.
‘Obviously, many Russians are far too emotionally repressed to appreciate the joke, and so invent a reason to take offense, and then use it to send in riot police.’
^Quoted for truth!
- Mikhail1228Arsanalupin off meds again22:32, 21/08/2013Arsanlupin you are obviously off your meds again. This could be very dangerous for your well being. You are obviously paranoid and delusional. Seek medical attention.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.