Topic: NGO ‘Foreign Agents’ Law
- Putin Warns Against ‘Going Overboard’ with NGO Checks
- Prosecutor Says Extremism Law Is Behind NGO Checks
- More Inspections Hit Rights NGOs in Russia
- Government Swoops in on Russian NGOs for Checks
WASHINGTON, March 28 (RIA Novosti) - The United States expressed concern Thursday that a series of raids on nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in Russia could become a “witch hunt.”
“The United States is deeply concerned by the unprecedented wave of inspections on nongovernmental organizations and civil society groups across Russia,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told a news briefing Thursday.
The crackdown “appears to be aimed at undermining civil society” in Russia, and the US ambassador to Russia, Michael McFaul, has met with officials in Moscow in recent days to make Washington’s views on the issue known, Nuland added.
As many as 2,000 NGOs across Russia have been raided by prosecutors and other officials in the past month. Many NGO activists have complained of unexpected and time-consuming raids, and activists have condemned the inspections as a form of intimidation.
Most observers have linked the raids to a new law that tightens control on NGOs and obliges those that receive foreign funding to register as “foreign agents.”
Russia’s Prosecutor General's Office said Thursday that the inspections are part of efforts to ensure compliance with anti-extremism laws and combat the legalization of illegal income.
But Nuland said the raids “have put considerable restrictions” on funding and are “taking Russian democracy in the wrong direction.”
“The sheer scope of these inspections, which target not just NGOs but also civil organizations like religious and educational institutions … really gives us concern that this is some kind of a witch hunt,” Nuland said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that the Kremlin’s human rights ombudsman, Vladimir Lukin, should monitor the raids to ensure there were no “excesses” by officials carrying out the spot checks.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- 135792?4@NGO Raids06:55, 31/03/2013With American abuses all over the world and CIA active in most countrie, causing instability. Russia would be very stupid if she did not check all activities from foriegn sources. The world needs a very strong Russia and China to balance American aggression. You can tell when American do not like something happening, they start bleating like spoilt brats. Carry on Russia, you are doing the right thing
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.