MOSCOW, September 10 (RIA Novosti)
- U.S. Mom Appeals Child Support for Boy Sent Back to Russia
- Russia Confirms Adoption Deal with U.S.
- U.S. Failing Over Adoption Laws Says Russia
- U.S. Woman Who Sent Back Russian Boy to Pay $150,000
A U.S. woman who sent her adopted son back to Moscow lost on Monday a lawsuit she filed against Russian children's rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov.
A Moscow court ordered Torry Hansen to pay 50,000 rubles ($1,500) in legal costs.
Hansen had sued Astakhov over a website post in which he called her the "adoptive mother" of Artyom Savelyev. Hansen insisted she was a "former adoptive mother."
The woman has also lost her lawsuit against Russian government daily Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
Hansen was living in Tennessee in April 2010 when she put Savelyev, then aged seven, unaccompanied on a flight to his native Russia, with a note saying she did not want him as he was "psychotic." She had adopted the boy from a Russian orphanage in 2009.
He currently lives in a group home in Moscow.
Hansen also appealed last month against a U.S. court order.
Savelyev's case sparked an outcry in Russia and together with previous incidents prompted the government to stiffen regulations for adoption of Russian children by foreign parents.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- jgBigger punishment from a US court17:05, 10/09/2012A court in the USA has refused to recognise a Russian court ruling annulling the adoption and consider her to be responsible for the boy, whom they also consider to be a US citizen. They have told her to pay 150000 USD in damages to the boy and also she must pay him 1000 USD per month, until he reaches the age of 18.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
During Vladimir Putin’s annual Q&A session some members of the Valdai International Discussion Club asked him several questions. How united is the West in its desire to punish Russia? Which EU countries are in favour of isolating Russia? Is this even possible? And what is going on in Ukraine?