Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
MOSCOW, August 8 (RIA Novosti)
- Madonna Says ‘Prays for Freedom’ of Russia’s Pussy Riot Band
- Prosecution Seeks 3 Yrs for Pussy Riot Members
- Madonna May Speak Out For Pussy Riot at Moscow Show
- Pussy Riot Member Says Charges ‘Absurd’
- Outside Pressure over Pussy Riot Trial Unlikely to Yield Results
121 members of the German Bundestag have sent a letter to the Russian Ambassador to Germany, Vladimir Grinin, in support of the three jailed Pussy Riot Members, Spiegel reported on Wednesday.
The three young women - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samusevich, all aged between 20 and 30 - have been charged with hooliganism under a statute carrying a maximum penalty of seven years in prison. The prosecution asked on Tuesday for three years in jail for the three Pussy Riot members over a punk prayer in Moscow’s Christ the Saviour Cathedral in February calling for then-Prime Minister Putin to quit.
The letter from the Bundestag referred to proceedings against the women as being disproportionate and draconian.
“We members of all factions of the German Bundestag are concerned about the circumstances of the criminal proceedings against three members of Pussy Riot,” the letter reads. “We consider the months of pre-trial custody and the severity of the penalty they face to be draconian and disproportionate.”
“In a secular and pluralistic state peaceful art events, even if they may be perceived as provocative should not lead to charges of committing serious crimes and long prison terms,” the deputies said.
The letter was initiated by a representative of the Green Party, a member of the Social Democratic Party, a member of the Free Democratic Party and an MP from the Christian Democratic Union and supported by 121 deputies.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmWestern double standards.11:19, 08/08/2012Let the Germans mind their own business Russia is not a football field.
Let pussy riot do jail time there name fits their actions Pussy's and Riot so they are pussy's and they cause riots.
- PETEPETEPETE(no title)12:13, 08/08/2012This in a country where historians and researchers are sent to jail (what you think of them and their ideology is besides the point) and where you can't say out loud that you wouldn't want your son to be homosexual. Just this little details tells you there is something seriously wrong with the West.
- pushkinlovBut Off12:13, 08/08/2012To those German "Parliamentarian" who seek influence the Russian legal process, I suggest to mind your own business and pay attention to you internal shortcomings. Give your lectures of human rights and justice to the Saudis, the Qataris, the Georgians, and the whole club of middle eastern killers you support. Keep your nose off the Russian legal process.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.