U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered a one-year extension of the U.S. national emergency over Russian atomic material suitable for use in nuclear weapons© RIA Novosti. Sergey Guneev
WASHINGTON, June 19 (RIA Novosti)
- Obama Calls For 'World Without Nuclear Weapons'
- Russia, Belarus Initial Nuclear Power Plant Construction Deal
- G8 Leaders: Iran Must Assure World Over Nuke Program
- Russia Joins OECD Nuclear Energy Agency
- Russia Would Use Nukes to Stave Off Threats - General Staff
- Russia’s Nuclear Arms Industry Fraud ‘Systemic’ - Prosecutors
U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered a one-year extension of the U.S. national emergency over Russian atomic material suitable for use in nuclear weapons.
Obama submitted a notice of the extension for publication in the U.S. Federal Register on Monday.
“The accumulation of a large volume of weapons-usable fissile material in the territory of the Russian Federation continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States,” Obama said in a message to the U.S. Congress accompanying the notice.
“For this reason, I have determined that it is necessary to continue the national emergency declared with respect to the risk of nuclear proliferation created by the accumulation of a large volume of weapons-usable fissile material in the territory of the Russian Federation and maintain in force these emergency authorities to respond to this threat,” he said.
The national emergency over Russian nuke material was declared in Executive Order 13159 of June 21, 2000 by the then-president Bill Clinton. It has been extended annually ever since.
The extension of the emergency is necessary to support the execution of a 1993 Moscow-Washington agreement on eliminating highly enriched uranium removed from Russian nuclear warheads (the so-called HEU-LEU agreement).
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- living069always hypocrites06:04, 19/06/2012lets put it this way, america always tries to make others feel like they are not at threat and should reduce or disarm while they continue to produce more themselves, once this happens they will threaten and bully, it is a typical zionist agenda, to all those that think american call to democracy is a good thing, look at what their democracy has done to other countries, you can have democracy, but at your pace and on your terms and together as one.
- lmPutin do not let us down..07:47, 19/06/2012Putin cannot take anything for granted with his meeting on Syria with Obama because as before and disrespectfully so. The US has always double cross Russia, so the talk of a pledge to let Syrians decide their fate alone cannot be seriously take as sincere words from Obama.
What can happen is that the US may not get evolved directly in the conflict but let other countries under the NATO umbrella do the dirty work calming the US had to power to stop them from acting.
Putin has to be very, very carefully on this one because this is Russia last stand as a serious power that can protect its own interest. I am sure and many will agree with me here that if Russia caves in and sell out Syria it would be suicidal politically and commonly.
Russia will gain that much needed respect and admiration the Mr. good honest and godly guy image does not work anymore even Russia’s Veto power is no barrier in stopping NATO from attacking any country it wishes too, so now we can see that the Veto is useless in this sense.
The procrastination policy of interaction on foreign policy where tough and decisive decision must be made but always put on the shelf fearing criticism whiles Russia is slowly been pushed out of the international scene, been surrounded military, hated by the US congress, laugh at as been a backward country with a rusted military, corrupted country, suffering from low self-esteem and inferiority, has to be put to rest, however corruption cannot be just the government fighting it alone but every citizen interest as well.
Putin cannot rule forever and he knows this very well and must lay the foundation for replacement because Russia’s liberals, the middle class and oligarchs does not have the motherland as their interest but a more destructive goal of “this piece is mines this is yours” wants to be seen as pro democratic and loved by the West at any cost.
The communist and United Russia is the only two political parties that have the motherland in their hearts.
- SirkoYou are Right00:35, 20/06/2012There is only one solution for Russia and uncompromising man who will not put up with their lies. If Russia does not put everything it has into a superior military, Putin will cave in for at the end of the day it is 'filthy lucre' that rules. They have been bought off. What Russian needs is another Papa Joe who does not care about money and the flateries of the west...
Image Galleries: The World’s Most Notorious Prisons
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The formation of the Russian Popular Front (RPF) could be a positive development in Russian politics. While it is clear that Russia still lacks a full-fledged multiparty system, the fact is that such systems are in crisis elsewhere in the world. Traditional political parties are growing increasingly inadequate and outmoded. Their time has passed.