JAKARTA, May 9 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Plane with 44 on Board Missing in Indonesia
- UAC to Fix Superjet Problems After Emergency Landing
- Russia to Export 10 Sukhoi Superjet 100s in 2012
- Transaero Buys Six Superjet 100 Planes
The darkness, fog and rain complicate the search of Russia’s Sukhoi Superjet-100, which went missing on Wednesday on a demonstration flight near Jakarta, a spokesman of aeronautical airspace control in Indonesia said.
The plane has failed to return to the airport after a demonstration flight. Shortly before radio contact was lost, 20 minutes after takeoff, the pilots had requested permission to descend from 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) to 6,000 feet (1,800 meters), air traffic controllers said. After it was cleared for descent the plane started turning right and descending but then disappeared from the radar screens at an altitude of 6,200 feet in a mountainous area 60 kilometers from Jakarta.
The spokesman said that the plain disappeared in the area of Mount Salak, which is 7,254 feet (2,211 meters) high.
There are 44 people on board, including eight Russians and 36 foreign nationals. The Russian Embassy in Jakarta said that in addition to the Russian crew, there were only citizens of Indonesia on board.
Crisis Staff however reported that there were 50 people on board, including eight Russians, two Italians, one French and one American citizens and 38 citizens of Indonesia.
Sukhoi Superjet-100 was fully functional, United Aircraft Corporation reported on Wednesday.
Indonesian authorities suggested the airplane may have been hijacked or crashed into a mountain in poor visibility.
By the time the plane was due to return it should have burned up its fuel.
Earlier in the day the SSJ-100 carried out two demonstration flights in the Indonesian capital as the manufacturer said Pakistan’s Air Indus has shown an interest in purchasing eight SSJ-100s.
The SSJ-100 arrived in Jakarta as part of a demonstration tour of six Asian countries. It has been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan, and after Indonesia was due to visit Laos and Vietnam.
The Superjet 100 is a medium-haul passenger aircraft developed by Sukhoi in cooperation with U.S. and European aviation corporations, including Boeing, Snecma, Thales, Messier Dowty, Liebherr Aerospace and Honeywell.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- raisadansad, but not a big surprise19:44, 09/05/2012Russia makes good guns and rockets...things that kill people. Everything else...forget it. Russian manufacturing needs foreign cooperation to get in line with the modern world. Don't buy a Lada...it's only good for a couple of years...if the car does not break down soon, Russian roads will do the job for you.
- severnayazemlyaSukhoi Superjet 100 disappearance in Indonesia20:22, 09/05/2012This is really bad news. There can be magnetic disturbances in Indonesia, like in the Bermuda Triangle. A Pan American World Airways Boeing 707 crashed while descending into Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia in 1974. The plane's instruments direction finders showed different readings.
- cheruskBuilt with US cooperation21:33, 09/05/2012Russian Sukhoi went missing. This is a commercial desaster on the same very day of the Victory Parade and 48 hours after Putin's taking office.
The Kursk' sinking comes to mind.
- severnayazemlyaDisappearance of Sukhoi SU-100 in Indonesia04:39, 10/05/2012Indonesians are searching intensively for the aircraft. We should know tomorrow. This is a terrible tragedy.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.