WASHINGTON, March 27 (RIA Novosti)
Russian politicians reacted with anger on Tuesday after U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said Russia is the United States' “number one geopolitical foe.”
Romney's statement reflects the position of those who want to impose U.S. hegemony, said the head of the Duma's Foreign Affairs Committee, Alexei Pushkov.
“These same charges and these same characterizations, we have heard from them or from those around them," Pushkov said. "This is not surprising. Among Romney's top foreign policy advisers we can see the same neo-conservatives who directly influenced the development of U.S. foreign policy under Bush,” he said.
Romney's statements are similar to those of Republican Senator John McCain, who was defeated in U.S. presidential elections four years ago, Pushkov said.
“It is as if we are hearing Senator McCain again: Romney makes a statement and one gets the feeling it is McCain speaking," Pushkov said, adding American voters had rejected McCain in favor of Barack Obama.
Neo-conservative figures are angry that the U.S. is taking into account the positions of Russia, China and other leading countries, he said.
“It seems that despite the political losses in Iraq and the upcoming defeat in Afghanistan, despite the defeat in the last presidential election, the Republicans have learned nothing. They do not want to understand that America is not omnipotent,” Pushkov said. “They do not want to understand that using force is not the way to solve problems in the Middle East. They do not want to understand that the U.S. can no longer pursue a unilateral foreign policy.”
In an interview with CNN, Romney said Russia “lines up with the world's worst actors” including Syria and Iran.
“Russia continues to support Syria. It supports Iran, has - has fought us with the crippling sanctions we wanted to have the world put in place against Iran. Russia is not a friendly character on the world stage,” Romney was quoted as saying.
He also slated talks between U.S. President Barack Obama and his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev at the nuclear security summit in Seoul on Monday.
“The actions he's taken so far, which he says are to reset relations with Russia have not worked out at all,” Romney said, adding Obama’s words to Medvedev about flexibility are “alarming and troubling.”
CNN reported that President Obama was caught on an open mike saying to Medevedev “This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility.”
“Russia is the geopolitical foe… and the idea that our president… is planning on doing something with them that he's not willing to tell the American people before the election is something I find very, very alarming,” Romney said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- free_mind50(no title)10:37, 27/03/2012Mr Romney sealed his fate when he said "If I tell you what I am going to do now, I will Lose".
The President elect of Russia told his constituency exactly what he intends to do with regards to the future success of the Russian Federation and won in an open contest despite the surmountable odds.
The elections were transparent and open
- wulfranoThieves11:48, 27/03/2012Russia is only defending the right she has over her natural resources. Of course thieves like the moron... excuse me... like the mormon Romney cannot understand this.
- lmWhen will Russia learn?12:12, 27/03/2012Dear wulfrano,
What rights are they defending when we all are witnessing a disastrous foreign policy, ones external policy greatly influence ones internal policy, Russia is made to feel inferior. They do much talking but sooner or later backs down and change there tune just read it’s a pity.
Russia is yet to prove they can stand up far from there borders, believe me I am not alone in this view.
- lmRussia is a country in dilemma on foreign policy how can they lead those that are close to them no political will I feel so sorry for Russia so sorry.12:03, 27/03/2012Russia is No.1 Geopolitical Enemy for U.S. - Mitt Romney
Take that in your pipe and smoke it good, I am not surprise of this revelation but I am sure Russia is because Russia has been bending over backwards to often with nothing in return. And it is simple hold Russia trump cards in your hand use it when we need them to bend over and surely they will.
Now I am sure sooner or later the West will say hey look we need to build more missile shield in other countries “hey don’t worry about Russia they cannot do anything but talk and if they do something it is of no use” so lets go ahead and install more missiles.
This plan is well worked out create am enemy and justify your response no need to go deep it is very simple. And the West is playing against the Kremlin conscience keep telling them they are an obstacle to peace; insure they feel a grate amount of inferiority, keep funding the NGO’s and if the Kremlin steps in cry foul world wide, until they drop.
Russia foreign policy is so weak it cannot be repaired unless a divine intervention of political will comes into force. That means defending your interest even if it means putting boots on the ground anywhere not just talk about it.
If Russia thinks any politician in the West has there interest at heart they are dead wrong
- Ranxerox100% True16:53, 28/03/2012100% True, If Russia not prepare for "intervention" out side of his borders, they never again be in position to "create" events...Now Russia maybe do something which produce more and more superficial sympathy around the world(to be precise Third world aka small and week country's)But in the eyes of "Empires" it's nothing more than super week foreign politics.Like i said to one friend of mine who was a man full of contempt for Russia, has become one of the biggest fans of the same, because of its "peaceful foreign policy"(jii, if they just can...), I told him that he must understand the most serious sentence of Mrs. Madeleine Olbright (or Oldbright) paraphrase .. " It's not fair that one country on its territory for a third of all global strategic reserves, and that America when the time comes, will have to do what it does, and Russia, let him do what you must do "
So Mr. Romney statement is not so innocent and only for internal use of the current presidential campaign.
And if you really think Russia to protect its resources, not long to be able to work. like the Kremlin to send "serious" note's to the world and similarly.They must get ready to defend their resources outside of Russia itself, and the current momentum in the form (for the public, 650-Bilions dollars, in reality much more) that separates the modernization of the Russian army aims to around 2018 Russia acquired the capacity to just begin to defend their geo political interests as it is really only possible in a world where America is, that simply can not now to stop, because the money was spent in front, and that China now plays a lot of moderate their game, but the screen so only until they got 4-5 aircraft carriers more.Which is also 2018/2019.Than we can aspect "real deal" in most horror oblique.
- nickylemmimgromney & obama11:25, 28/03/2012what was that case with obama talking to medwedew in private?
i dont see how its such a scandal, he did not harm nobody directly. sure that the republicants ahave to attack him but its totally crap
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.