MOSCOW, December 12 (RIA Novosti)
- Profile: Mikhail Prokhorov
- Prokhorov sees no alternative to Putin, urges ruling party reform
- A Just Russia nominates pro-Kremlin Mironov for president
- Prokhorov says his political comeback possible
- Kudrin dismissal to usher in new 'ideologies' - Prokhorov
- Putin nominated as presidential candidate, vows to seek social justice
Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov announced on Monday he would run for presidency at the upcoming presidential elections next March and create a new political party.
"I made probably the most serious decision in my life. I am running for president,” Prokhorov told a press conference, adding that he would have to collect signatures and register for the elections very soon.
He said that he would unveil his political agenda after he registered as candidate.
Prokhorov also pledged to build a new political party “from scratch.”
He did not rule out the possibility of cooperation with Russia’s former finance minister Alexei Kudrin, who earlier told the Vedomosti daily newspaper that he is in contact with Prokhorov about the possible establishment of a new political party.
The businessman however dismissed the claims that he had discussed his presidential ambitions with the Kremlin.
Asked whether he had met with President Dmitry Medvedev or Putin, Prokhorov said he “had not met either.”
Prokhorov, who has chosen Russia’s middle class as his electoral base, said he would not build his presidential campaign on criticism of Putin.
“Criticism must make up no more than 10 percent…I would like to focus on the things I would do,” he said.
He also said he had at least five or six candidates for the post of Prime Minister, although he refused to disclose any names.
Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said after Prokhorov’s statement that Putin was aware of the businessman’s ambitions.
“Any person whom the constitution and law allows to run for president has the right to do so. This situation is not surprising,” Peskov said without elaborating on Putin’s reaction about Prokhorov’s statement.
On Thursday Prokhorov said in his blog that he saw no alternative to Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as president.
“Whether they [Russian people] like it or not, Putin is so far the only figure who can manage this inefficient state machine,” Prokhorov said in his LiveJournal blog, following the mass protests against the allegedly rigged parliamentary polls that brought Putin’s party, United Russia, to victory.
Prokhorov planned to take part in December’s parliamentary elections as the leader of the Right Cause party, but in mid-September he was dismissed as the party’s leader for allegedly not toeing the Kremlin line. He then accused the first Kremlin deputy chief of staff Vladislav Surkov of being linked to the party’s split and said he would push for Surkov’s dismissal.
“I have found a more sophisticated way [to dismiss Surkov], I think I should just become his boss,” Prokhorov said.
The Right Cause’s acting head Andrei Dunayev said the party would support Prokhorov at the elections if they could be sure of his independence from the Kremlin.
“I would sincerely like to believe that he came to this decision on his own. If we can be sure about this, we will definitely support him,” Dunayev said.
After Prokhorov announced his presidential plans, his name appeared on the Twitter world trends' list.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SolidSatanlal17:21, 12/12/2011Wow a oligarch for president ........
- severnayazemlyaProkhorov & Bering Sea railway tunnel19:09, 12/12/2011Maybe Prokhorov would invest in the Bering sea railway tunnel to North America, create a million new jobs in Siberia, a hero project.
- mrgenieAn oligarch for President16:41, 13/12/2011Probably better then someone who considers Russians are slave people you can spit on. Putin downgraded Russian industry. No one outside of GUS needs 1920 made products. China, Japan, S. Korea, EU, USA, even Mexico builds more modern equipment then Russian industry. Now, it is fine to get foreign money by ripping your state of oil and gas, and surely a small country could live on it for the next 200 to 300 years. But a nation as big as Russia needs more! Simply selling raw materials won't be enough in 40 or 50 years. With Putin destroying everything in Russia to fill his own bags and spit on the Russian people and show them a nice show of lies and fiction won't help the country for the time after oil/gas/metals.. a large country as Russia with 140 Million people with such a huge potential of smart well educated people should have their best minds modernize industry and engineering, instead of having the smartest people leave the country to work for Chinese, Iranian, Japanese, European and American companies. But obviously Putin doesn't give a damn about this once so nice country with it's beautiful nature. Under the soviets the Russians were such a nice people, and now? It's like everyone on the street has only 1 goal:"kill all others" Terrible what Putin made out of this once so beautiful country.
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918