Topic: Russian Poll Protests
MOSCOW, December 8 (RIA Novosti)
- U.S. says will continue support for peaceful protests, including in Russia
- Poll protests continue in Russia, more arrests
- Russian human rights adviser criticizes police crackdown on protesters
- Moscow sees second night of poll protests
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin accused the U.S. authorities on Thursday of sponsoring the opposition in Russia and urged harsher punishments for those acting on orders from “foreign states.”
His remarks followed comments by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other senior Washington officials about the outcome of Russia’s parliamentary elections, in which the pro-Kremlin United Russia party gained almost half of the vote.
The White House said it had “serious concerns” about the polls, which were marred by accusations of ballot-stuffing and other irregularities, with Clinton describing the vote as neither free nor fair.
“I looked at the first reaction of our U.S. colleagues,” Putin said during a meeting with representatives of his All-Russia People’s Front movement in Moscow.
“The [U.S.] secretary of state was quick to evaluate the elections, saying that they are unfair and unjust, even before she received materials from the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (OSCE/ODIHR) observers.”
President Dmitry Medvedev said Sunday's polls were democratic and fair, despite numerous violations registered by international observers, which he said would be investigated.
Clinton’s comments, Putin said, became a “signal” for “our activists, who began active work with the support of the U.S. Department of State.”
Massive opposition protests against the alleged vote fraud in favor of United Russia took place in Moscow and St. Petersburg following Sunday's elections. Several thousand protesters participated in marches in downtown Moscow on Monday and Tuesday and another major protest is expected to be held on Saturday near the Kremlin’s walls.
Following reports of hundreds of protesters detained during the rallies, the U.S. Department of State Deputy Spokesperson Mark Toner said earlier on Thursday that the United States “would obviously support the rights of anyone to peaceful protest, emphasis on peaceful, anywhere in the world,” including Russia.
In this Thursday's comments, Putin said Russia “must protect” its “sovereignty” by thwarting foreign governments’ attempts to interfere in its domestic affairs.
“When money from abroad is invested in political activities inside another country, this concerns us,” he said, adding that “hundreds of millions of dollars” of foreign money have been spent to influence the election process in Russia.
“We are not against foreign observers monitoring out election process,” Putin said. “But when they begin motivating some organizations inside the country which claim to be domestic but in fact are funded from abroad… this is unacceptable.”
His remarks seemed to be an apparent reference to the Moscow-based Golos election watchdog, which has faced pressure from the authorities ahead of the polls amid reports of its funding by U.S. government-affiliated structures.
Punishment for those cooperating with foreign governments should be toughened, Putin said.
“We will have to think about improving our laws in order to make those fulfilling the tasks of a foreign state aimed at influencing our domestic [political] process more responsible,” he said.
Several opposition activists have been jailed for 15 days for disobeying police orders during the opposition rallies earlier this week and more arrests are likely to follow during Saturday's protest. The authorities have authorized the demonstration but only 300 people have been allowed to take part in it, while some 20,000 social networks users have already registered to participate in the protest.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- email@example.comRUSSA IS NOT LYBIA15:38, 08/12/2011YOU HAVE MONEY WE HAVE PUTIN, UP YOURS
- Aiassa02Putin .... He is Telling The Russian People The Truth About United States Involvements!02:44, 10/12/2011To whom read? Vladimir Putin, he refuses to be the American patsi, or thier fall guy! Please Listen. The United States is motivated on trying to impose by (news) threatening sanction's against the country of russia! Including creating a bridge, on foreign trade policy. Why Russia currency is faltering with the Ruple, is direct result, of control by UK , and it has validation by the fact it because russia, doesn't doesn't want to part take in the North American Free Trade Agreements (NAFTA) IN THE MAIN STREAM... America talks ill of the former soviet union, and has no intention of helping the Russian's government's, or it's people, and never has since the cold war era! This issue is pressing other peace talks, and even talk with china; Hu Jintao, that did occur on 9/19/2011 with Joe Biden's appearance, in bejing china, in conventions in discussing the reconsideration of diplomacy and the world trade organizations. Their denial of their involvement's in the open market. Always, the control of the world bank of England! Don't think for a moment america wouldn't have involvement's trying to impose it's position of wanting to remain the super power! When Bill Clinton was president , he promoted, Tony Blair, to become the prime minister of great Britain, and had him appear on jay Leno, to aide his support for re-election as the united states president, 1995. Russia suffer because, of the united states trying to poke it's nose in every body's affairs, war mongering, and mass corporate globalization. Just look at America's rich history of racism, and public deception, making and breaking promises, and the breech of allegiance established with other allied nations! Yet it still claims to be a nation of diverse union, and democracy! You wait, just like the early 70's of the oil trade compact with saudi Arabia , Iraq, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Libya!! Again, and eventually America will declare war on China, after bill Clinton, called them the evil red empire to the public address in statements given under his leadership! They'll deny it today! It is Public Record! got what they wanted, they'll burn their china's bridge, too, it will become or declared a hostile country, as usual in Washington politics! History! Hilary? It tends to be repeating the pattern again, and again, and again. Furthermore, Vladimir Putin, he is being very truthful... read and keep up to date in American News... and he is right to have express his concerns! America is hateful and intolerant to anyone whom doesn't share the same and exact beliefs as them!
All Real - All True- All Public Records.
Electronically Signed, Robert Lane Aiassa.
- Aiassa02YET.... READ THIS... It's Important!03:22, 10/12/2011Barack Obama.... Just approved a bill that passes senate approval for the nuclear power plant in the sate of Arkansas, for 1.9 Billion Dollars, yet, again, guess who? The home state of organized crime figure and ex-president, whom was on trial for being a liar, grand purjury, and public deception! You got it, William J Clinton, under the authority of appraised control of white house representative, and major leader as speaker of the house? Whom else , other than Hilary R. Clinton, in their very own home state!! Then to point fingers at other nations for wanting nuclear energy, and alternative fuel resources, other incidental moments, (fast N Furious) to further their control in the world markets! Yet they are trustworthy?!!
- Aiassa02The Honesty... and Public Trust.03:30, 10/12/2011I would just love to see the clinton's to even try, just try, to call "Hu Jintao" a liar after all the billions lent to the united states! It will be a trade compact between russia- china- iran- ukraine-germany WTO. Let's see whom really controls the market then, it won't be the world bank of england. That i promise.
Go Vladimir Putin!
Image Galleries: Wildfires Rage in Russia's Tver Region
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
If attempts to drag Russia into a direct military conflict in Ukraine are successful, it would be a catastrophe for Russia comparable to the 1979-1989 Afghan war. There is no direct evidence that the US is trying to bring about a second Afghan war, but indirect evidence abounds.