- Libyan opposition says has understanding with Russia on govt. recognition
- Libya talks should involve all political forces - Lavrov
- Russia's foreign minister to meet with Libyan opposition member
- Russia 'proactive' negotiator on Libya - UN envoy
- Libyan Armed Forces
- Military operation in Libya
- Russia and Libya: bilateral relations
- Libya: Confrontation on the ground, bombs from the air
- Military operation in Libya: Coalition targets Gaddafi’s military arsenal
- Area of Benghazi, Libyan opposition stronghold, after air strikes against forces loyal to Gaddafi
- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi makes T.V appearance with tribal leaders
Russia recognizes Libya's Transitional National Council as a legitimate negotiator on Libya's future, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday.
Lavrov met with Abdel Rahman Shalgam, a representative of the Libyan opposition, on Monday. The opposition has been seeking to oust Libya's long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi since mid-February.
"The Transitional National Council does not seek to be recognized as the only legitimate representative of the Libyan people, but wants to be seen as a legitimate partner in negotiations on Libya's future," Sergei Lavrov said.
A total of 14 of the 28 NATO countries are taking part in the operation Unified Protector in Libya, which includes airstrikes, a no-fly zone and naval enforcement of an arms embargo in response to attacks on civilians.
Russia abstained in the UN Security Council vote on the resolution.
Western media reports claim the U.S. has suggested the Libyan rebels open a representative office in Washington.
MOSCOW, May 24 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Any response would likely boomerang on Russia – the partnership between Rosneft and ExxonMobil is a case in point. The United States has hit Russia with a third round of sanctions. This time the Americans went with a higher caliber weapon, targeting Russia’s biggest energy companies (Rosneft and Novatek) and banks (VEB and Gazprombank).