- Gaddafi's killed son Saif al-Arab was civilian student - agency
- Gaddafi calls on war with Italy
- Russia aware of allies' ground campaign plans in Libya - Lavrov
- Gaddafi ready for ceasefire, refuses to step down
A NATO air strike in Tripoli, which Libyan authorities say killed a son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, was aimed at Gaddafi's physical destruction, a member of the Russian parliament said on Sunday.
Konstantin Kosachyov, head of the State Duma international committee, said in an interview with RIA Novosti that the NATO operation in Libya was focusing on the indiscriminate use of force and was swerving away from the conflict resolution within the legal mandate.
"A civil war is raging in Libya and with the interference of a third, external party, the situation is turning into an impasse," Kosachyov said, adding that last night's bombing of Gaddafi's residence was an attempt by the NATO coalition forces to get out of the impasse.
The NATO airstrike on a wealthy residential area in Tripoli on Saturday killed Gaddafi's youngest son, Saif al-Arab, 29, who was a postgraduate student majoring in economy and not a military person, Libyan state-run JANA news agency earlier reported.
The airstrike on Gaddafi's house also killed three of his grandchildren as well as several friends and neighbors, the agency said citing a statement from the government.
Kosachyov said that civilians were killed during the NATO airstrike and that such tragedies were inevitable when the stated goals, even if the noblest ones, were beginning to be achieved by unlawful means.
A total of 14 of the 28 NATO countries are taking part in the operation Unified Protector in Libya, which includes airstrikes, a no-fly zone and naval enforcement of an arms embargo.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution imposing a no-fly zone over Libya on March 17, paving the way for a military operation against Gaddafi which began two days later. The command of the operation was shifted from a U.S.-led international coalition to NATO in late March.
MOSCOW, May 1 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecSomething is wrong with this picture17:59, 01/05/2011If Gaddafi was not there, then he knew that his house could be targetted. Then, why did he allow his son and his grandchildren to be there? Wasn't he thinking? Or is it a Public Relations propaganda?
- bielecSecond question18:06, 01/05/2011Lokking at the picture at the top of this article, I wonder, "Are these two guys the rebels who are withholding a regular army? Dressed in clean camo uniforms, standing in the middle of an intersection as a clear target... It looks like the script has been written i Hollywood.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.