- NATO takes over command of military operations in Libya
- U.S. Defense Secretary does not know how long no-fly zone might be in place in Libya
- Coalition forces paving rebels' way to Libyan oil facilities - Jana agency
- Military ground operations qualify as occupying Libya - Russia NATO envoy
- Military operation in Libya: Coalition targets Gaddafi’s military arsenal
- Area of Benghazi, Libyan opposition stronghold, after air strikes against forces loyal to Gaddafi
- Libyan Armed Forces
- Military operation in Libya
- Tripoli holds mass funeral for civilian victims of coalition bombings
- Western air strikes hit Libya for fifth night
The military intervention by the Western-led coalition force in Libya's civil war is out of tune with the relevant UN Security Council resolution, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday.
"We believe that the coalition's intervention in the civil war [in Libya] has not, essentially, been sanctioned by the UN Security Council resolution," said, adding its only purpose "is to ensure the protection of the civilian population."
"This resolution contains no other goals," he said.
Russia abstained from the Security Council vote.
On Sunday, NATO began taking command of all aerial operations in Libya from the US-led force. The transfer of authority will take up to three days.
Russia abstained from a UN Security Council resolution adopted on March 17 imposing a no-fly zone over Libya and measures to protect civilians from Gaddafi's forces.
Western-led military strikes against Gaddafi, whose forces have been attacking rebels in the
east of the North African country since mid-February, began last Saturday.
Libyan television has reported that at least 100 civilians have been killed and over 150 wounded in the strikes and that many health and education facilities have been destroyed. Coalition commanders deny this.
MOSCOW, March 28 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pcfNATO is a murderin machine.15:25, 28/03/2011It does not bother about UN resolutions or international law. NATO should be dismantled immediately, it is the biggest terrorist organization on the globe.
- suhailNATO's forming is against the principles of ........17:34, 28/03/2011The forming of NATO itself is against the tenets of UNO.NATO actually stands for North Atlantic Terrorist Organisation.CIA stands for Criminal Intervention of America in other countries.England's spy agencies from MI6 to MI20 stand for Massacre of innocents in 6 to 20 countries.Middle-east has exactly 20 countries excluding Israel.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgLibyan Citizens show Qaddafi Burned His Soldiers Alive For Refusing to Shoot Protesters17:52, 28/03/2011http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1R2SKPB_enUS373&q=Libya%2Bsoldiers%2Bburned%2Balive&rlz=1R2SKPB_enUS373&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c7c40ca34444791f
- DariusUnfortunately, it is too late for veto now !20:32, 28/03/2011One should not be surprised when NATO uses any UN resolution as a blank cheque to suit its own interests.
Whenever there are any doubts the best is to use the right of veto !
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.