- Medvedev rebuts Putin over Libya
- Medvedev says comparing UN resolution on Libya with 'medieval crusade call' inadmissible
- Putin likens UN Libya resolution to crusade call
- Putin says Security Council resolution on Libya "flawed"
- UN Security Council adopts resolution on Libya (Update 1)
In a rare faceoff with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday he stood by Moscow's decision not to veto the UN Security Council resolution on Libya.
"Russia did not exercise [the veto power] for one reason: I do not consider this resolution to be wrong. Moreover, I believe that this resolution generally reflects our understanding of what is going on in Libya," Medvedev said.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin earlier on Monday likened the UN Security Council resolution on Libya to a medieval crusade call.
In response to Putin's comments, Medvedev said the comparison was "inadmissible."
"It is absolutely inexcusable to use expressions that in effect lead to a clash of civilizations - such as 'crusades,' and so on - that is unacceptable," Medvedev said.
Otherwise "everything could end up in far worse shape than it is now," he warned.
"It is important to remember this."
Russia abstained from a UN Security Council resolution adopted on Thursday imposing a no-fly zone over Libya and measures to protect civilians from Muammar Gaddafi's forces.
Medvedev stressed that the Russian Foreign Ministry had acted strictly in compliance with his instructions.
Under the Russian Constitution, the country's foreign policy is formulated by the president, not the prime minister.
Western-led military strikes against Libya's strongman Muammar Gaddafi, who has been ruthlessly fighting rebels in the North African country since mid-February, began on Saturday.
Libyan television has reported that at least 50 civilians have been killed and over 150 wounded in the strikes and that many health and education facilities have been destroyed.
GORKI, March 21 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailThe 200 Libyans wouldn't have lost their lives if President Medvedev had21:05, 21/03/2011It appears true that President Medvedev has compromised Russia's economic growth and its position as an alternative superpower by voting for sanctions against the hapless Libya.The death toll in Libya due to NATO's bombing is 200.And believe me President Medvedev,if you had vetoed UN's no fly zone resolution on Libya,these 200 people wouldn't have lost their lives.Many thousand Libyans are due to be killed by NATO only because you didn't veto this dirty UN resolution against Libya.
- pcfI agree13:52, 22/03/2011I agree with your opinion, suhail.
I find this rushed business of the UN resolution very alinating and strange, to put it mildy. Many South American leaders spoke against it, but they were not heard. Venezuela's president Hugo Chávez proposed a mediation committee, so did the ALBA alliance. But it was brushed off. Many politicians world-wide have called this UN resolution "neo-colonial" and "imperialist".
Their remarks can be read on alternative media of non-aligned countries, while the western mainstream media all keep on slandering Mr. GADDAFI and telling atrocious lies about a so-called "rebellion" in LIBYA which is nothing else than another one of those infamous CIA undercover infiltrations and attacks against socialist countries. The world has had enough of it.
- suhailWrong stance,Mr.Medvedev.Mere lip service is of no use.18:43, 22/03/2011Mr.Medvedev,the US govts have been using and are using their people as guinea pigs while experimenting with new medicines leading to catastrophic effects on their health.Many have died too as a result of this sadistic and criminal experimentation.So Mr.Medvedev,do you agree that the USA has to be bombed by Russian,Chinese and Indian planes to prevent its government from experimenting new medicines on its citizens?Yes,you must Mr.Medvedev because you have supported NATO's attacks against Libya by believing NATO's propaganda of all things against Libya's Muammar Gaddafi?Muammar Gaddafi has ruled Libya for the past 42 years and there was no rebellion at all against his rule in all these years.His rule was peaceful.So,why this rebellion all of a sudden?!Where did the rebels get their weapons.Who supplied them with weapons?Now President Medvedev,if you look closely at these weapons,you can see that they are US made.Here is another point to ponder and focus upon.USA has effectively lost the allyship of Egypt.So it needs to some other country to have its grip on and control the middle-east.The obvious choice is Libya.Libya is the present chairman of African Union.Libya leads Africa in its disdain towards western backed governments.Libya used AU's support successfully to have the UN sanctions removed against it.Libya has set up the CEN-SAD economic community to counter Euro-American economic organisations.Many Arab states have joined the AU.So Libya is pivotal as far as Africa and the middle-east are concerned.Africa was able to end the western hegemony it faced for centuries largely because of Libya.So,obviously when Libya is ruled by Libyan people who support NATO nations,NATO would still have a strong grip on the middle-east and also renew its hold on Africa.Russia,India and China are engaging Africa in trade and are winning its heart.NATO decided that it would win and rule over Africa and middle-east by toppling Muammar Gaddafi's regime and installing a puppet government in its place.The only way it can do this is by instigating a rebellion against Muammar Gaddafi,invading Libya under the pretext of saving its people from Gaddafi,toppling Gaddafi's regime and establishing a puppet govt in its place that would most respectfully obey the diktats of its western masters.This NATO's way of approaching Africa which totally contrasts the approaches of Russia,China and India. So Mr. Medvedev,your decision to support NATO's actions against Libya is wrong.When you lose Libya,you lose Africa and the middle-east too.Remeber,there are revolutions happening in Arab countries to oust US backed govts.That means there could be Arab states having Russia friendly Govts.That will be a reality when you seriously support the middle-east countries and Africa in their endeavour to oust their slave govts who have been and continue to be the stooges of the western colonial countries.The only way Russia,China and India can support them is by sending in their forces to Libya in Libya's defence.Mere lip service is of no use!
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.