- Moscow weather sets sixth record in August
- Heat wave breaks another temperature record in Moscow
- Moscow records highest ever temperature
- Moscow celebrates Russia Day in grips of record-breaking heat
Russia has recently seen the longest unprecedented heat wave for at least one thousand years, the head of the Russian Meteorological Center said on Monday.
Wildfires continue to rage across much of the central part of European Russia as the country experiences a heat wave, with temperatures of up to and above 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).
"We have an 'archive' of abnormal weather situations stretching over a thousand years. It is possible to say there was nothing similar to this on the territory of Russia during the last one thousand years in regard to the heat," Alexander Frolov said.
He said scientists received information on ancient weather conditions by exploring lake deposits.
Frolov also said Russia's grain crop may decrease by at least 30% compared to last year.
On Thursday, Russia imposed a ban on the export of grain and grain products that will last from August 15 to December 31, though First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov said the ban may be changed after the harvest is calculated in October.
MOSCOW, August 9 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- StirlingBP Oil Disaster has killed the Gulf Stream causing the Jet Stream to go crazy00:30, 11/08/2010The BP Oil Disaster and the hundreds of millions of gallons of oil have caused the Gulf Stream to begin to die and this in turn has caused the Jet Stream to go crazy. Read my blog EUROPE . Ear of Stirling
- Alek ... Krasnoyarsk Krai ...00:43, 11/08/2010... highlights areas of ice can be initiated at the level of Baykit Airport and lowering the temperature rapidly through water flows due to lack of forest that holds the temperature ...
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.