Russian heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser joints St. George Ribbon campaign© RIA Novosti. Grigoriy Sisoev
- Russia's George ribbons to be distributed across world ahead of Victory Day
- Moscow's Sheremetevo airport joins St. George ribbon campaign
- St. George ribbons distributed among all Russian Navy fleets
- Ukrainian St. George ribbon campaign starts in Sevastopol
- “Victory Day” exhibition by James Hill at the Moscow Museum of Modern Art
- British guardsmen train for Victory Parade on Red Square
- First night of rehearsals for the Victory Day Parade
- Rehearsing for the Victory Parade air show
- Making uniforms for the Victory Day parade
- A spectacular show. Rehearsal of Victory Parade at Alabino Shooting Range
- Tricolor fireworks for Victory Day
- British Royal Guards clean their bearskins and train for Victory Parade in Moscow
- Unique array of military vehicles for Victory Parade
- Russia’s Air Force rehearses Victory Day Parade near Moscow
Russian heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky of the Northern Fleet has hold a ceremonial action dedicated to the start of the St. George Ribbon campaign at the warship.
The action began with the Russian hymn and raising of the St. Andrew's flag.
The cruiser's commander, Felix Menkov and the cruiser's deputy commander, Arkady Mogilevets, has presented sailors with ribbons.
"It is a double pleasure today that a young generation Russian sailors perform tasks of a long voyage in the Indian Ocean," Mogilevets said. "We hold the St. George Ribbon action on the ship for a first time. During a week sailors, sergeants, warrant officers and officers will wear the ribbons, thereby paying tribute and honors to those who never returned from the Great Patriotic War battles."
The campaign, which was initiated by RIA Novosti and the Student Community youth organization, commemorates the heroes of the eastern front during WWII and involves hundreds of partners in Russia and abroad.
More than 55 million orange and black ribbons have been distributed across the globe since the campaign was first held in 2005. Ahead of Victory Day, people in many countries decorate their cars, clothes and everything else with the ribbons as an expression of their respect for those who died during the war.
Orange and black are the traditional colors of Soviet and Russian awards for achievements in combat. The black and orange stripes symbolize smoke and fire.
CRUISER PYOTR VELIKY, May 2 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Track-and -Field Athlete of the Year Yelena Isinbaeva
Infographics: Russia – Ukraine Gas Dispute
Violent suppression of protests can lead not to stabilization but just the opposite. It forces Yanukovych to seek solidarity only in Moscow. It puts Russia in a position where it will again be involved in Ukrainian politics. And in this murky swamp, we have repeatedly gotten bogged down.