The Russian Defense Ministry denied allegations of Russian incursion into eastern Ukraine© RIA Novosti. Anton Denisov
MOSCOW, August 15 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Defense Ministry denied on Friday allegations of Russian incursion into eastern Ukraine, calling the claims a 'fantasy' that is not worth discussing.
“No Russian military column crossed the Russian-Ukrainian border, either at night or during the day,” the ministry’s spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, told RIA Novosti.
“Such statements, based on fantasies or pure assumptions by journalists, cannot be subject of serious discussion by leaders of any country,” Konashenkov said.
Earlier on Friday, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko claimed that the Ukrainian artillery destroyed Russian armored column that crossed into Ukraine at night.
The allegation was picked up in the West and the British Prime Minister David Cameron expressed his concerns over the alleged “Russian military column.”
French President Francois Hollande called on Moscow to respect Ukraine’s territorial integrity.
Russia has repeatedly denied its involvement in Ukraine’s internal affairs and called for a peaceful resolution of the Ukrainian crisis.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize