Russian missile cruiser "Moscow"© RIA Novosti. Vitaliy Ankov
Russian missile cruiser Varyag© Photo Pacific Fleet press service
- Russia Builds Up Mediterranean Task Force
- Russia Starts Building Mediterranean Task Force
- Russia Reveals Details of Mediterranean Task Force Command
- Russia’s Mediterranean Task Force to Comprise 5-6 Warships – Navy Chief
- Russian Navy Starts Forming Mediterranean Task Force
MOSCOW, May 12 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s Mediterranean task force will comprise 5-6 warships and may be enlarged to include nuclear submarines, Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Sunday.
“Overall, already from this year, we plan to have 5-6 warships and support vessels [in the Mediterranean Sea], which will be replaced on a rotating basis from each of the fleets – the Black Sea, Baltic, Northern and, in some cases, even the Pacific Fleet. Depending on the scope of assignments and their complexity, the number of warships in the task force may be increased,” Chirkov told RIA Novosti.
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu earlier said a decision to deploy a permanent task force in the Mediterranean to defend Russia’s interests in the area had been made.
The Russian navy commander also said nuclear submarines could be deployed in the Mediterranean, if necessary.
“Possibly. In a perspective. They [submarines] were present there during the existence of the 5th squadron. There were both nuclear and diesel submarines there. Everything will depend on the situation,” he said.
The Soviet Union maintained its 5th Mediterranean Squadron in that sea from 1967 until 1992. It was formed to counter the US Navy 6th Fleet during the Cold War, and consisted of 30-50 warships and auxiliary vessels at different times.
Russia also plans to use its Mediterranean task force for missions in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, the country’s Navy chief said.
“No doubt, if necessary, when some tasks arise in other nearby regions, in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, the task force may be used,” Chirkov said.
Now the Russian Navy is training officers who will perform their duties at sea on a permanent basis, he said.
“These persons must be comprehensively trained to solve tasks not only in the Mediterranean but also in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans,” he said.
The headquarters of Russia’s Mediterranean taskforce will be set up already in the summer of 2013, he said.
“The headquarters will be established in the summer of this year and its officers will stay aboard one of the flagships in the Mediterranean Sea,” he said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenieWith China building up so fast..11:15, 13/05/2013China is building up it's army faster then Russia, NATO, Japan, India combined! I wonder where this will lead to in the coming decades, but China is increasing it's military capacity at such an enormous velocity, I think Russia has no other option then to increase army spending and be prepared for the worst case, as the west won't help Russia when China will launch 2 Million troops to invade Siberia.
- LocoIvanVery Astute!16:07, 13/05/2013While that nanus Putin is 'glad handing' Chinese Officials for energy contracts to shore up a Mineral based economy, the Chinese are smiling and building-up at every opportunity.
Russia's primary interest is only in the port of Tartus, no matter how many Muslim lives are lost in the civil war. If they lose this outlet, it places them at a severe disadvantage.
- moistOne Zio-fascist and two log ins..16:58, 13/05/2013..."Arse-lupin" and Loco-Schlomo "discussing" with and greeting himself. Really? Is this what´s left of the Tel Aviv based Hasbara boy scouts?
- LocoIvanAwww, the resident psychotic…21:52, 13/05/2013'talking in tongues' again!
Be Gone you Unclean Beast!
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.