- US Says Remains Open For Missile Defense Talks With Russia
- Moscow Issues Point-of-No-Return Warning on Missile Defense
- US State Dept. Urges Russia to Cooperate on Missile Defense
- U.S. Missile Defense Plans Hinder New Arms Cuts - Russia
BRUSSELS, January 31 (RIA Novosti) – NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen expressed hope again on Thursday for progress in missile defense talks with Russia in 2013.
“I hope that the clarification of the political situation both in Russia and in the United States (the outcome of presidential elections last year) will pave the way for some progress [in 2013],” Rasmussen said, at a press conference following the presentation of NATO's annual report in Brussels.
“I do believe that it’s in our mutual interest to embark on cooperation to the benefit of people in Russia and people in NATO countries,” he said, adding NATO’s invitation to Russia to cooperate on missile defense still stands.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile defense system at the Lisbon summit in November 2010.
However, further talks between Russia and the alliance have floundered over NATO’s refusal to grant Russia legal guarantees that the system would not be aimed against Russia’s strategic nuclear deterrent.
NATO and the United States insist the shield is designed to defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran, and would not be directed at Russia.
The Atlantic Alliance has vowed to continue developing and deploying its missile defenses, irrespective of the status of missile defense cooperation with Russia, which remains stalled.
Russia has threatened to launch a range of countermeasures to tackle NATO's missile defenses, including forward deployments of tactical nuclear missiles to its Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad and improvements to its strategic nuclear missile arsenal.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228Rasmussen don't hold your breath!01:38, 01/02/2013Does Rasmussen and NATO think that Putin is an idiot? Russia is working on new and improved countermeasures to make this missile defense obsolete before it even goes operational. The mobile Topol-M launched in quantity can overcome this system. Wait for the new plasma shielded MIRV's complete with countermeasures to defeat this missile defense. We cannot forget that Russian Iskander missiles will be strategically located to knock out NATO missile defense radars seconds after they go online as Putin has already promised to do. Russia can also put weapons in space with ease. This is a no win and foolish escapade for NATO!! Don't hold your breath Rasmussen as Russia will NOT come to you in weakness, but rather in an offensive stance.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
During Vladimir Putin’s annual Q&A session some members of the Valdai International Discussion Club asked him several questions. How united is the West in its desire to punish Russia? Which EU countries are in favour of isolating Russia? Is this even possible? And what is going on in Ukraine?