- Russian fifth-generation fighter to make first public flight at Moscow air show
- Russia tests 2nd prototype of fifth-generation fighter
- Russia to offer fifth-generation prototype fighter to Brazil?
- Russia's fifth-generation fighter to be cheaper than foreign analogues
MOSCOW, December 12 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's fourth prototype Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter jet took to the skies for the first time on Wednesday in a 40 minute flight at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur factory in Siberia, Sukhoi said.
"The fourth prototype PAK-FA made its first flight today from the Gagarin factory in Komsomolsk-on-Amur," Sukhoi said, referring to the aircraft by its project name, an acronym for future fifth-generation tactical fighter.
"The flight tested the aircraft's overall integrity and its main engines. The aircraft is making a good impression in all phases of the flying program," Sukhoi said.
The T-50, which will be the core of Russia's future fighter fleet, is a fifth-generation multirole fighter aircraft featuring low-observable technology (stealth), super-maneuverability, supercruise capability (supersonic flight without use of afterburner), and an advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar.
The first prototype first flew on January 29, 2010.
The Russian Defense Ministry plans to purchase a first batch of 10 evaluation aircraft and then 60 production-standard aircraft after 2015.
Meanwhile, the Novosibirsk aircraft factory (NAPO) plans to deliver ten more Sukoi Su-34 strike aircraft to the Russian Air Force in the near future, the Air Force's Col. Andrei Bobrun said.
"The Novosibirsk factory will send another ten aircraft to the Voronezh air base in the near future," he said.
The air force set up its first Su-34 squadron at the end of 2011. A two-seat strike-dedicated derivative of the Su-27 fighter, the Su-34 can carry a payload of up to eight tons of guided weapons over 4,000 kilometers.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenieThis is very good15:22, 12/12/2012I'm sure those fighters will reduce corruption, help sick people who can't effort to pay for their medicine, repair old school buildings, repair the zillions of holes in the Moscow infrastructure and it will prevent officials up to the president from stealing hundreds of billions of Russian taxes.
- moistAs the US globocop...12:27, 13/12/2012...with whatever costly military perversities does u mean? This is in comparison a necessary spit in the ocean and the Russians have jobs and food on the table which a major part of the 99%, in the US , does not. Good luck with that...
- rochefortfrancoisfunny...13:50, 13/12/2012This is the begining of a new world...and the end of an unipolar world.
- shanksinhaSustained effort17:40, 13/12/2012The T-50 program is being run at a priority by Russian military Industrial complex. At this rate the time schedules for service entry should be more or less on time. The biggest challenges however, lie ahead. Integration of a true 5th Gen engines and electronics will be a challenge. However, with sustained efforts Russian aerospace industry is well poised to meet them. The end product will be a genuine 5th gen combat aircraft unlike the Chinese monkey models being touted so much in the media these days.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.