Topic: Protests in Syria
WASHINGTON, June 14 (RIA Novosti)
- U.S. Says Russia Supplying Syria with Combat Helicopters
- Russia’s Rosoboronexport to Continue Arms Supplies to Syria
- Russian Arms for Syria No Threat to Protesters - Lavrov
- Russian Arms For Syria Not For Use Against Civilians – Putin
- Clinton, Annan Discuss Syrian Political Transition Strategy
The State Department on Thursday acknowledged that the Russian helicopters Secretary of State Hillary Clinton earlier claimed would “escalate quite dramatically” the Syrian conflict were actually returning to Syria after being refurbished.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the U.S. is nevertheless concerned that the helicopters will be used by President Bashar Assad's regime to kill civilians.
Clinton has recently claimed that Russia supplies attack helicopters to Syria, but Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday dismissed the claims saying Russia was “completing the implementation of contracts that were signed and paid for a long time ago” and adding that the contracts "concern exclusively anti-aircraft defense.”
“We are not delivering to Syria, or anywhere else, items that could be used against peaceful demonstrators,” Lavrov went on. “In this we differ from the United States, which regularly delivers riot control equipment to the region, including a recent delivery to a Persian Gulf country. But for some reason the Americans consider this to be fine," Lavrov said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardsMiddle-East to the Middle-East people00:41, 15/06/2012The only way for the United States to deal with the countries of the Middle-East is by forging and supporting revolutions also with Regime Change. This is a deplorable solution for the USA when it should face the Middle-East the way it is, like the ME people want it and not with regime change from outside to the inside. The Middle-East may solve its own problems from inside to the outside with its own sovereignty from the roots of the people of the ME region. Middle-East to the Middle-East people.
- PeterPumpkinEaterRefurbished? Lies...01:51, 15/06/2012Perfect time to finish up the "Refurbishing" of these helicopters, watch the death counts rise exponentially. Then what do we do? Send in missiles to arm the rebels? This isn't bright, and to be honest with you Russia, the US, and China need to stay out of it. This is their civil war, let them go at it.
- bielec@PeterPumpkinEater02:58, 15/06/2012If any refurbishing took place, it was to rearm these helicopters with modern military equipment in preparation for Western/Israeli invasion of Syria.
The government may also use modern helicopters to protect Syria's borders and to fight terrorists destabilizing the country. Nothing wrong with this.
- SirkoGood! Refurbish More.07:09, 15/06/2012American foreign policy in the Mid East is inspired, financed and controlled by American Zionists with one and only one objective destabilized all Muslim countries who are not their lackeys, create failed states without any possibility of amelioration for the people, socially, politically, and scientifically. Keep them killing each other. Keep the Mulsims backward and hence provide fertile ground for Zionist imperialism. To this end they use their stooges such as the Saudis, Jordanians, Turks, etc.
- lmTime to leave office.07:41, 15/06/2012Poor woman she seems to not understand her job or is directly involve in sturing up trouble.
- yao.lonNOTE: HELICOPTERS WLL BE USED TO KILL TERRORISTS!06:24, 16/06/2012DONT WORRY CLINTON, IT WILL NOT BE USED AGAINST CIVILIANS, IT IS AGAINST THE TERRORIST YOU ALWAYS SUPPORTED.
Image Galleries: Siberian Air Base Gets New Su-30SM Fighter Jets
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.