Topic: Protests in Syria
PARIS, June 12 (RIA Novosti)
- Lavrov Defends Russian Arms Supplies to Syria
- ‘No ban’ on Russian arms supplies to Syria
- Russian Arms for Syria No Threat to Protesters - Lavrov
- Russian Arms For Syria Not For Use Against Civilians – Putin
Russia’s state-controlled arms trader Rosoboronexport intends to fulfill its contract for the supply of armaments to Syria, Rosoboronexport Deputy CEO Igor Sevastyanov said on Tuesday.
“No one can ever accuse Russia of violating the rules of armaments trade set by the international community,” Sevastyanov said in response to a question about whether Russia would fulfill its contract for the supply of Pantsyr mobile gun and missile air defense systems to Syria.
“The contract was signed long ago and we supply armaments that are self-defense rather than attack weapons, and there can be no talk about any violations by Russia or Rosoboronexport either de jure or de facto,” Sevastyanov said, adding it was the UN Security Council that served as an instrument of supporting global stability.
Sevastyanov referred to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov who said “even with the greatest fantasy, it is hard to imagine that air defense systems can be used to suppress opposition actions.”
“The contracts that were signed and do not contradict international law must be fulfilled. If the international community adopts other decisions, they will be fulfilled by Russia,” Sevastyanov said.
Russian President Vladmir Putin said in early June that Russia was not supplying arms to Syria which can be used against protesters. “As for arms supplies, Russia is not supplying arms that could be used in civil conflicts,” Putin said during a joint news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin on Friday.
Syria is one of Russia’s major weapons clients, and Moscow has opposed a proposal for a UN arms embargo on Damascus.
Russia has supplied Syria with Bastion coastal missile systems with Yakhont cruise missiles and Buk surface-to-air missile systems under a contract signed in 2007.
According to UN estimates, about 10,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a popular uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011, which started with peaceful protests but has since grown increasingly militarized.
Russia and China have twice vetoed UN Security Council resolutions condemning the Syrian government over the violence, citing a pro-rebel bias. The Syrian authorities insist they are fighting “armed terrorist gangs” affiliated with al-Qaeda.
Western powers have accused Russia of its reluctance to support a tougher UN action against the Syrian regime, with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton saying Russia’s stance is “propping up” the Assad regime and contributing to a “civil war” in Syria.
Moscow insists that the Syrian crisis can only be resolved through political dialogue, and has urged Syria’s conflicting parties to stick to a peace plane brokered by the joint UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardsSyrian rebels are isolated from the world16:16, 12/06/2012Nobody has ever seen any rebel leader ADRESSING IN SUPPORT to his armed comrades in the field of the conflict in Syria
- PlutardsSyrian rebels have no economic structure17:25, 12/06/2012If the USA continues its plan to change the Syrian Regime to give it to the Syrian armed rebels, there would take place a disaster; because the Syrian armed rebels have no political, social or economic structure for a government in Syria and to substitute Assad. These armed rebels in Syria have no means to make a constitution in Syria, imagine the rest. The Syrian rebels offer no options but a cheap little war, war and war.
- SirkoMid East Truth18:57, 12/06/2012All U.S. regimes from Reagan and on are controlled by Zionists. The U.S. main objective anywhere in the Muslim world is to destabilize and exploit. Keep any and all Muslim country which might pose any threat to Israel in a state of mayhem. In essence under the American boot as has been the case for centuries with Latin and American countries. The main goal in the Mid East is to negate any possibility of amelioration for Muslim people to create a country with social and scientific progress. Hence, ensuring the supremacy of the Zionist state. What these Zionist filthy lucre morons fail to realize and history has proven this over and over again is at best such a policy is like the fabled Dutch boy with his finger in the crack of a dyke holding back an ocean of anger and hatred engendered by this policy which will eventually burst into one catastrophic dance for humanity.
- PlutardsIsrael and the War of Six Days for Obama20:41, 12/06/2012The United States is not so engaged any longer with Israel like it once used to be. For example, USA President Barack Obama proposed the territorial demarcation for Israel of the time before the War of 6 Days, in 1967. Israel did not accept this in any way... But Obama did not retreat from this position of the time before the War of 1967 in relation to Israel. The latter is no longer a priority for the Middle-East in terms of the USA geopolitical policies, after the recent clashes in the given ME region.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.