Topic: Black Sea Fleet
Russia's Black Sea Fleet is stationed in Crimea under a lease agreement with Ukraine.© RIA Novosti. Alexey Kudenko
- Russian, Ukrainian defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- Russia ready to hold drills with Ukraine in any format - defense minister
- Russia, Ukraine to sign deal on Russian Black Sea Fleet rearmament
- Russia's Black Sea Fleet, South Stream and Somali Pirates
Russia will never give up its naval base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula, ex-commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet Adm. Igor Kasatonov said.
Russia's Black Sea Fleet is stationed in Crimea under a lease agreement with Ukraine. On April 21, 2010, Moscow and Kiev signed a deal extending the lease on the fleet's base in Sevastopol for 25 years after the current lease expires in 2017.
"The year 2042 is not the final date of the Black Sea Fleet's presence in Crimea. The Russian Navy will stay in Sevastopol forever," Kasatonov said in a recent interview with the Kiev-based Expert magazine.
"Russia will never give up either Sevastopol or the Kuril Islands," the admiral said, adding that the naval base in Sevastopol played the utmost strategic role in the protection of Russia's southwestern border.
Kasatonov said that the Black Sea Fleet must be equipped with advanced weaponry as soon as possible to counter effectively the existing and emerging global threats.
At present, the Black Sea Fleet has about 40 operational vessels, including a single diesel-electric submarine, but most of them are slated for decommissioning.
Russian Navy Commander Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky said last year that the fleet would be reinforced with 15 new combat ships and diesel-electric submarines by 2020, and could become a formidable force by 2035.
MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- wanklordRussian Navy is merely a collection of obsolete warships20:29, 23/04/2011Russian Navy is merely a collection of obsolete warships useless in modern warfare and managed by incompetent authorities. China is the indisputable superpower of the 21st century and waiting for the collapse of America's hegemony. Russia will simply become a proxy ally of the mighty Dragon.
- sepheronx(no title)21:46, 27/04/2011yeah, sure they will. I would gather you know nothing of military technology, correct?
- Michael Johnathen(no title)11:10, 01/05/2011American navy is based off of carriers
Russian navy is based off of carrier killers
Chinese navy is based off of old soviet designs and weaponry, they have alot of catching up to do, they can't even fix a perfectly good hull of the Minsk in a timely fashion.
Any anti-ISIL operation in Iraq cannot be effective unless the Islamic State is attacked in Syria. But the final statement of the Paris Conference did not mention Syria as a precaution against disunity in the coalition and with due regard for the Russian position. Professor of the Chair of Modern East Department of History, Political Science and Law in RSUH