- CIS top security officials to meet in Tajik capital
- CIS air defense units to hold live firing drills in 2011
- CIS defense ministers to meet in Ukraine
- CIS members to discuss development of joint air defense network
- CIS countries should create single economic space - Russian presidential advisor
The chiefs of the CIS general staffs on Friday spoke in favor of the integration of the national armed forces of the organization's member states, the chief of Russia's General Staff, Army Gen. Nikolai Makarov said.
"All participants noted the necessity of building their national armies on integration principles within the commonwealth," Makarov said after a meeting with his CIS counterparts.
The CIS, or Commonwealth of Independent States, is a loose association of former Soviet republics. It consists of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine. Georgia pulled out of the organization in 2009.
Seven member states are part of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), a post-Soviet security bloc.
MOSCOW, December 3 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Erdogan will continue to help consolidate Islam’s influence in public life and use Islam as a political issue. It is hard to say what Turkey will do in the Muslim world, but Erdogan obviously does not need any more turmoil in neighboring countries.