- Putin wants wildfire casualty lists, reconstruction plans
- Wildfires in Russia claim 30 lives, over $150 mln in damage - ministry
- Death toll from raging wildfires in Nizhny Novgorod region rises to 14
- Situation with wildfires in Russia remains difficult - Prime Minister Putin
- Kriushi: a Russian village burnt down by wildfire
- Fighting wildfires in central Russia
- Vladimir Putin arrives in fire ravaged Nizhny Novgorod Region
- Forest fires approach Moscow: Kolomna Kremlin is in danger
- Forest fires leave over 2,000 homeless
- Fire devastates homes near Voronezh
- Unusually hot weather causes forest fires in the Moscow area
Vyksa Steel Works, part of Russia’s United Metallurgical Company (OMK), has had to periodically suspend production due to fires in the Nizhny Novgorod region where the plant is located, the head of the plant said on Tuesday.
"The climate situation in the region remains uncertain. However, OMK is doing its best to meet its obligations to partners despite the force majeure in the Nizhny Novgorod region because it is aware of the strategic importance for Russia and Europe of projects [including the Nord Stream pipeline], where the factory is the core supplier," Vladimir Kochetkov said.
Vyksa Steel Works also said that some 500 employees participated in fire-fighting operations in the region, while the company has sent all its heavy machinery to extinguish fires.
Russia is suffering its worst heat wave in 130 years of records, with President Dmitry Medvedev announcing an emergency situation in seven regions due to wildfires. In the Nizhny Novgorod region, fires have destroyed 759 houses and killed 19 people.
MOSCOW, August 3 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.