Uzbekistan has requested more information about the athletes from Ebola-hit West African countries to make a decision on their admission to the world wrestling championship in Tashkent© REUTERS/ Thomas Peter
MOSCOW, August 26 (RIA Novosti) -Uzbekistan has requested more information about the athletes from Ebola-hit West African countries to make a decision on their admission to the world wrestling championship in Tashkent, a representative of the country’s sanitary authority told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
“We have requested additional information from the teams’ delegations to have a full view. Now we have received part of the data and are examining it," the representative said.
Earlier on Sunday, Uzbekistan’s Public Health Ministry received a letter from the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) with a demand to clarify the country’s position on the participation of the athletes from West African countries in the world wrestling competition to be held in the Uzbek capital September 8 to 14.
In particular, seven Nigerian wrestlers and two athletes from Sierra Leone, where the deadly Ebola virus is spreading, plan to participate in the competition.
According to the World Health Organization, more than 1,400 people have died from the Ebola virus disease since its breakout in West Africa, with more deaths expected in Liberia, Nigeria, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
The disease is a highly deadly, with a 90 percent mortality rate. It is transmitted through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of the infected.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize